Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Roleft

Default tomato plants failing

I have two potted tomato plants that were thriving, but now are failing. One is
a cherry tomato plant that was yielding LOTS of beautiful and tasty fruit.
After the first large batch, the leaves started turning brown and yellow and
there has been NO more new growth in several weeks...not leaves or blossoms. I
have fertilized and both are planted in a potting mix.

The second is a "patio" tomato plant that has only grown about 1 tomatoe out of
each bunch of blossoms. The growing tomatoes look fine, but are taking FOREVER
to turn red. The other blossoms either yielded fruit that failed to ever grow
or no fruit at all. The plant itself looks fairly healthy except that it has
also had NO new growth (leaves or blossoms) for several weeks.

We have had LOTS of rain in the past few weeks (I live in SE Kentucky) and am
wondering if root rot could be a problem. If so, can this be resolved?

thanks for any help,

Old 08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Roleft said:

I have two potted tomato plants that were thriving, but now are failing. One is
a cherry tomato plant that was yielding LOTS of beautiful and tasty fruit.
After the first large batch, the leaves started turning brown and yellow and
there has been NO more new growth in several weeks...not leaves or blossoms. I
have fertilized and both are planted in a potting mix.

What size pot? Your plants may be completely root-bound.

In my experience, the most fertilizer for potted plants is Osmocote (or a
similar 'off-brand' product). It's an encapsulated, slow-release fertilizer
that can't be easily leached out of the pot.

snip
We have had LOTS of rain in the past few weeks (I live in SE Kentucky) and am
wondering if root rot could be a problem. If so, can this be resolved?

Drill some holes in the base of the pot (if there aren't any there right now).
I've never had to worry about potted plants get overwatered before -- usually,
the opposite is the problem. (Last month's record rainfall only meant that
I didn't water the couple of potted plants that were out there at all.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Peas failing to germinate gasdoctor Edible Gardening 7 19-06-2008 01:35 PM
Phal spikes failing Byron Orchids 1 26-04-2006 10:35 PM
Need help for failing evergreen shrub Rick Rogan Gardening 4 22-02-2006 09:48 PM
sealed hydrostatic transmission failing JerryO Lawns 0 30-06-2003 09:20 PM
Jacarandas failing... Trish Brown Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM