Old 13-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Jeffrey Barker

Default holes in collards / soap

Hi. We've got a nice little garden so far, except for the collard
greens. Several types of tomatoes and hot peppers are doing well.
Squash is doing well. Cucumber is over 8' long now (with no fruit
yet, though). The collards were doing great, but a few weeks ago they
started getting holes in them. There are no noticeable pests.

So..., and thanks in advance for any help...

1) anyone know what causes this and how to stop it?

2) I'm assuming antibacterial soap won't hurt, but is there such thing
as too much?

3) (bonus question) should I be worried that the cucumbers haven't
produced yet?

We're in Savannah, if that helps. Also, regretfully, about 5 days ago
we broke down and sprayed with Sevin. I hate having to use it, but
the fleas in the backyard were horrible. There are whiteflies in the
parsely in the front yard (garden is in back) but I haven't noticed
any in the garden. I can't think of any other info that might help
you all. The collards are growing very well, except for the holes.

TIA, Jeffrey