Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Cantaloupes bearing little fruit

I have cantaloupe vines everywhere! I planted 2 cantaloupes and the plants
are thriving, but I only have one cantaloupe that about the size of a large
orange. This seems odd since the plant is growing and vining everywhere.
There's no shortage of little yellow flowers, so I'm wondering if the
problem is pollination, or lack thereof. If so, what can I do? What else
could it be?

All advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Brigitte, in zone 5, southeastern Cornbraska

Old 08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
FarmerDill

I have cantaloupe vines everywhere! I planted 2 cantaloupes and the plants
are thriving, but I only have one cantaloupe that about the size of a large
orange. This seems odd since the plant is growing and vining everywhere.
There's no shortage of little yellow flowers, so I'm wondering if the
problem is pollination, or lack thereof. If so, what can I do? What else
could it be?

All advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Brigitte, in zone 5, southeastern Cornbraska

Cnataloupes have male and female flowers. The male is a straight stem behind
the blossom and female blossom is on a baby cantaloupe. If these baby
cantaloupes are drying up and falling off after blooming then you have a
pollination problem. Pollination is normally handles by insects, notably
different kinds of bees. But in their absence you may try hand pollination with
only two plants. You can use something like a Q-tip to transfer pollen from the
male to the female flower.

On the other hand, if you have rampant vines,. the plant may just be enjoying a
surplus of nutrients and feels no urgency to reproduce. Just be patient and
eventually you should get cantaloupes. Next year cut way back on the
fertilizer, especially the nitrogen component.