Old 20-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Barbara

Default help id this apple pest/disease

Hi
I have a 5 year old apple tree, (there are about 20 apples on it right now)
At first glance I thought it was suffering from rust, but a closer look
revealed rust-colored spots on the leaves where something has punctured the
leaf right through the center and there are "bristles" (legs?) on the
undersides of the leaves. What is this and what can I do to get rid of it?
The fruit is untouched. If there is a place to post picture I will.
Thanks

Barbara

Old 21-07-2004, 09:02 AM
sherwindu

Hi Barbara,
Do you ever spray your trees with fungicides and insecticides?

Sherwin Dubren

Old 21-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Barbara said:

Hi
I have a 5 year old apple tree, (there are about 20 apples on it right now)
At first glance I thought it was suffering from rust, but a closer look
revealed rust-colored spots on the leaves where something has punctured the
leaf right through the center and there are "bristles" (legs?) on the
undersides of the leaves. What is this and what can I do to get rid of it?
The fruit is untouched. If there is a place to post picture I will.

Cedar-apple rust is possible:
"In late spring or early summer, clusters of small orange-yellow, tubular fruiting
bodies (aecia) project downward from these lower surface spots."

Any junipers in the area with strange growths?

http://fhpr8.srs.fs.fed.us/idotis/di.../cedarapp.html

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ppa/ppa23/ppa23.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-07-2004, 07:04 AM
sherwindu

To be more specific, there are many trees in the 'Juniperous' genus, including
Red Cedar. I pulled out two Red Cedars which developed ugly growth and also
induced spots on neighboring apple trees. Some apple trees, like Jonathan and
Red Delicious are very susceptible to Apple Cedar Rust, while Pricilla is highly
resistant to it. However, in my experience, the rust problem was not accompanied
by any puncturing, bristles, etc. Actually, Red Cedars are not Cedars, but belong
to the Juniperous genus. The disease should rightly be called 'Apple Juniperous
Rust'.

If you have not done so already, pull out any 'Juniperous' trees nearby and/or start
on a regular spray schedule (a general home orchard spray would be a good start).

Sherwin Dubren

Old 01-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Barbara

I believe you are correct. I tried to do a search on the web for apple
diseases before I read your post. Indeed I have 5 junipers about 50-60 ft.
from the tree, I haven't checked them for galls yet. Also, the apple is
Jonathan, a susceptible variety. The junipers are well established and way
too big to pull out, would spraying the junipers and the apple tree be
sufficient to control/get rid of the disease?
Thanks

Barbara

Old 02-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Barbara said:

I believe you are correct. I tried to do a search on the web for apple
diseases before I read your post. Indeed I have 5 junipers about 50-60 ft.
from the tree, I haven't checked them for galls yet. Also, the apple is
Jonathan, a susceptible variety. The junipers are well established and way
too big to pull out, would spraying the junipers and the apple tree be
sufficient to control/get rid of the disease?

I think you are going to have to consider spraying. Maybe think about
planting a replacement apple that's more resistant. Pruning out any galls
on the junipers before they mature and produce spores would probably be
beneficial.

This page has some of the best pictures of the different phases of the
fungus life cycle that I've seen so far (including the growths on the bottom
of the leaves), as well as lists of resistant varieties and fungicides.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/plantdisease/g1327.htm

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 AM
sherwindu

If you have Cedar Apple Rust, the best chemicals are Zineb or Ferban, both of
which are very difficult to find. I pulled out two Red Cedars near my trees,
but I
had additional problems with them, like hard to keep attractive, prune, etc.
As I
mentioned earlier, on this board on my message of July 22, 2004. There I
stated that Red Cedar's belong to the same family (Juniperous), as Junipers (
they are not true Cedars), so someone obviously miss-named the disease. Even
with Zineb and pruning out the growths on the Red Cedars, the problem
persisted. Unless you have a great attachment to the Junipers, pull them out.
My preferences are for apple trees
over ornamental trees, but you may think otherwise.

Sherwin Dubren