Old 21-07-2004, 06:04 AM
John Moorhead

Default question about tomato color

Folks -

This is the second year we've put in a garden and we LOVE it. However, we
have discovered that this years' crop of tomatoes and zucchini have thick
skins and are a bit chewy.... The tomatoes have mottled appearance red, and
a smattering of yellow tint... not spots, exactly... also, when the tomato
is cut, there are small white spots near the skin.

The internal color of the 'matos are fine, flavor, texture (other than the
skin) are all good.... The zukes are okay too, 'cept that the skin is too
thick. Neither has kilt us off yet, so it can't be too bad.... I just want
some big juice tomatoes I can eat over the sink!

If they were running for President this year, I could understand it.
Despite my best efforts, the garden remains fiercely apolitical. And here I
was getting all worked up because the tomatoes were RED.

Seriously, I'd appreciate some feedback for those of you in the know.

John Moorhead
Northern California

Old 21-07-2004, 06:02 PM
The Watcher

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:49:29 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

This is the second year we've put in a garden and we LOVE it. However, we
have discovered that this years' crop of tomatoes and zucchini have thick
skins and are a bit chewy.... The tomatoes have mottled appearance red, and
a smattering of yellow tint... not spots, exactly... also, when the tomato
is cut, there are small white spots near the skin.

I grow Black Krim tomatoes, and sometimes think they look like raw ground beef
when you look at them. The taste is well worth it, though.
(snip)