Old 01-08-2004, 12:43 AM
FDR

Default Corn questions

I'm growing corn and the stalks are up and the ears are starting to emerge.
What should I do in the way of fertilizing right now?

Also, I found ants crawling around the top of one of the stalks where the
pollination occurs. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Rob

Old 01-08-2004, 02:11 AM
TQ

"FDR" wrote in message
| I'm growing corn and the stalks are up and the ears are starting to
emerge.
| What should I do in the way of fertilizing right now?
|
| Also, I found ants crawling around the top of one of the stalks where the
| pollination occurs. Should I be concerned?
|
| Thanks
|
| Rob

Too late to apply ferts, altho you could give 'em a booster shot of
micro-nutes with a fish oil/kelp foliar spray. Apply the spray late in the
day until it drips off the leaves. Ensure the crop is well watered before
application.

At this point, water (via rainfall or irrigation) and pest control (ear worm
& japanese beetle are the biggies here in the East/Zone 7) are key to
getting a good yield. Once the silk appears, you/re ~21 days away from
harvest.

I wouldn/t worry about the ants.

--
TQ

Old 02-08-2004, 03:54 AM
FDR

"TQ" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote in message
| I'm growing corn and the stalks are up and the ears are starting to
emerge.
| What should I do in the way of fertilizing right now?
|
| Also, I found ants crawling around the top of one of the stalks where

the
| pollination occurs. Should I be concerned?
|
| Thanks
|
| Rob

Too late to apply ferts, altho you could give 'em a booster shot of
micro-nutes with a fish oil/kelp foliar spray. Apply the spray late in

the
day until it drips off the leaves. Ensure the crop is well watered before
application.

At this point, water (via rainfall or irrigation) and pest control (ear

worm
& japanese beetle are the biggies here in the East/Zone 7) are key to
getting a good yield. Once the silk appears, you/re ~21 days away from
harvest.

I wouldn/t worry about the ants.

--
TQ

Thank you.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:54 AM
FDR

Old 02-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Craig Watts

Also, I found ants crawling around the top of one of the stalks where the
pollination occurs. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

On small plot gardens I learned a trick from PBS television and Mel
Bartholemew's (sp?) square foot gardening book. Early in the morning
go out with a small paper bag and shake the top tasles into the bag.
You will collect the pollen from all the corn stocks and shake to mix.
that are forming. By doing this you are making sure the pollen is not
just blowing out of the garden, but landing on each silk guaranteeing
a full ear of corn.

Good luck,

Craig