Old 15-08-2004, 03:16 AM
David Efflandt

Default raspberry?

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
barbara beardsley said:

I have some raspberry vines(can't be absolutely certain it's a raspberry, it
was here when I moved in- the berries turn red first and change to black
when ripe, the taste is mildly tart) Anyway, this year I broke my leg so I
couldn't do any gardening chores, the vines are just growing"au natural". We
live in a very woodsy area, so the vines are getting little sun. Amazingly,
they are doing better than ever, I can't figure it out. Last year I cleared
the area around the vines and they got full sun and were watered well , but
the berries were nowhere near as tasty or plentiful as this year! I thought
raspberries liked sun?

I think the vines liked what you did for them last year. (They fruit on the
canes that grew the previous year.) Brambles are happy in partial sun,
but for maximum production full sun is usually better.

Are the berries shaped like caps and when the berries come off do they
leave a white stump behind? If so you have black raspberries.

If the berry comes off with no central hollow and leave no significant
stump when picked, you have blackberries.

To my taste, wild black raspberries were always a bit tart; wild blackberries
are decidedly sweet.

I always thought black raspberries were sweeter than red raspberries,
unless you pick them too soon. I have all 3 types of berries wild on my
WI hunting property. When looking for black raspberries to plant at home
last year, the ones marked as raspberries had a picture of blackberries
(different if you know what to look for), so I passed those. I did find
some to plant this year.

babba raspberry Alan Edible Gardening 6 05-03-2003 06:17 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM
Raspberry choice? Autumn Bliss? Steve Harris United Kingdom 2 31-10-2002 01:51 AM