Old 24-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Jo

Default Moving raspberry canes

I planted some raspberry canes last November and had a small amount of fruit
this year. Out of the 12, only 8 were successful and I want to close up the
gaps, only having a small garden I don't really want to replace them as I
now know how much room they take up!

1. Do I cut them back after this first year's growth?
2. Can the canes be moved successfully?
3. I've read that you have to build a frame around them. Any low cost
ideas, please?

Thanks

Jo

---

Old 24-11-2002, 10:05 AM
Chris Stewart

"Jo" wrote in message
I planted some raspberry canes last November and had a small amount of

fruit
this year. Out of the 12, only 8 were successful and I want to close up

the
gaps, only having a small garden I don't really want to replace them as I
now know how much room they take up!

1. Do I cut them back after this first year's growth?
2. Can the canes be moved successfully?
3. I've read that you have to build a frame around them. Any low cost
ideas, please?

Thanks

Jo

---

Hi Jo,
Firstly there are two kinds of rasp - summer fruiting and autumn
fruiting - hopefully you'll know what kind you've got.
Summer fruiting - rasps grow on last years wood. In other words, since you
planted them, new green canes will have grown up - these are the canes which
will fruit next summer. Once established, in the autumn, you cut down the
canes which have fruited in the summer leaving the new canes for next year.
Don't worry about gaps - the rasps send out new canes which you can fill the
gaps with.
You don't need to build a frame around them - but they do spread - they can
be invasive - just pull up the shoots if they appear where you don't want
them ( and if they have roots, use them to fill any gaps. I have tried to
keep them in by using gravel boards in a rectangle round the canes. I
planted 8 canes in a row about 12 feet long. You need to be able to walk
down each side of the row to pick the rasps - the row will be 2 to 3 feet
wide in full growth in the summer.
Autumn fruiting - don't know!!

Hope that's of some help
Chris S

Old 24-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Rod

"Jo" wrote in message
I planted some raspberry canes last November and had a small amount of

fruit
this year. Out of the 12, only 8 were successful and I want to close up

the
gaps, only having a small garden I don't really want to replace them as I
now know how much room they take up!

1. Do I cut them back after this first year's growth?
2. Can the canes be moved successfully?
3. I've read that you have to build a frame around them. Any low cost
ideas, please?

Thanks

You've probably already got new canes coming up where you don't want them
(or you will have soon), dig those up to fill the gaps. Chris has already
explained pruning summer fruiting varieties fruit on last year's new canes,
autumn fruiting ones fruit on this year's new canes so all you need to do is
to cut the lot down to near ground level during the winter and in spring
/early summer reduce the number of canes to perhaps 5 or 6 per stool to
encourage good sized fruit. Various ways to support both sorts my favoured
and simplest way is just a good post driven in at each end of the row -
slant them backwards at about 15-20degrees so your wires tend to pull them
towards vertical. You need about 1.2/1.5metres above ground and about
0.8metres below ground depending on soil type. 2 or three wires (1or 2mm
dia) stretched between the posts, tie the canes to those. Cage may or may
not be needed depending on the appetite of your local birds. The design of
cage is a made up of a balance of cost v convenience, available materials
and ingenuity. My cages are made of galvanised steel water pipe (from local
plumbers merchant or scrapyard)and 'kee klamps'(from local engineers
merchants) covered with netting from Knowle Nets of Bridport.

Rod

Moving Raspberry canes johnnyb Edible Gardening 3 29-01-2013 04:35 PM
Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived? Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 10:51 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM