Old 27-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Hello...anybody home?

tap, tap, tap

Is everyone out in their gardens or is thing thing broken?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 27-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Gary Woods

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is everyone out in their gardens

We're in the stage of gardening known as "remorse and panic," in which one
realizes how quickly life untended gets away...

I found some turnips out there, but nearly needed a machete...

Peace,

Old 27-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Katra

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

tap, tap, tap

Is everyone out in their gardens or is thing thing broken?

Penelope

Well, I did put in a small fall/winter garden last night. :-)
Brocolli, kale, swiss chard, mustard greens, a few lettuces and a fairly
mature sweet 100's tomatoe that the nursery had left over from
spring.... It was producing and blooming, and it was only a buck and all
my own vines are dead already, so I figured, why not? G

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"One man's god is another man's devil (and vice versa) as far as
I'm concerned." --Delta Nine

Old 27-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Katra

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is everyone out in their gardens

We're in the stage of gardening known as "remorse and panic," in which one
realizes how quickly life untended gets away...

I found some turnips out there, but nearly needed a machete...

Peace,

lol That's funny. ;-)

K.

Old 27-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Cecelia Medbery

I'm facing reality...it really is fall and I didn't plant any fall veggies!
I do have lots of fall flowers blooming, but they don't last long around
here (Nebraska). It won't be but a few more weeks and we will have snow.
I'm trying to plan my "winterizing" between now and then. VERY busy time of
year with 3 sons' birthdays (2 in October and 1 on November 1st), plus
Halloween costumes (I sew them), the election, Fall carnival at youngest
son's school...do I need to go on?

Cecelia

Old 27-09-2004, 10:22 PM
simy1

Penelope Periwinkle wrote in message . ..
tap, tap, tap

Is everyone out in their gardens or is thing thing broken?

Penelope

no kidding. deader than elvis. my radicchios are immense, and I did
not even fertilize them this year. Next year I am going for 500 heads.
too bad that they take as much space as a small cabbage head in the
garden, and also too bad that, after having overwintered under cover
(it takes easily 10F), pulling them from the garden in the spring
breaks your back (their taproot is easily 2 feet). Their taproot is
why this vegetable is a major soil improver in heavy soils, each plant
forming a vertical channel for water and worms.

Other than that they are the perfect vegetable, hardy, immune to pests
and diseases, disliked by squirrels, tolerates drought and average
soil, matures after first frost, at which point it has a complexity of
flavor that no lettuce can hope to match. The heads keep in the ground
for months, too.
Old 28-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Thomas

I'm still harvesting handfuls of okra. My 15 yr old son didn't believe me
when I planted the 6 plants that they would provide more okra than he could
eat. He said he didn't think so 'cause he loves okra. Now when I ask him
every other day to harvest the okra he just gives me "the look". At
supermarket prices I bet we harvested 50 bucks worth of okra. ahhhhhh it's
good to be king! Otherwise, the eggplants are still producing and the
peppers...more jalapeños, habaneros and cayenne's than I can eat. Those
cayenne's make great peppersauce (vinegar) Tomatoes are long gone, but
picked the last cantaloupe two weeks back. Best basil I've ever had and the
key lime if finally setting fruit, albeit very late. Ready to get the
garlic in the ground the first couple of weeks in Oct. and hopefully can
get some arrugula and winter greens going.
Cheers!
Thomas
Zone 8 paradise (Texas..yeehaw!)

Old 28-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:01:48 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is everyone out in their gardens

We're in the stage of gardening known as "remorse and panic," in which one
realizes how quickly life untended gets away...

Oh. been there, done that.

When I got back from vacation this summer I had to take a weed
eater to the lemon basil. It was swarming over the Bulgarian
Carrot peppers

I found some turnips out there, but nearly needed a machete...

Did you find the bones of small mammals in there?

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 28-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:49:24 -0500, "Cecelia Medbery"
wrote:

I'm facing reality...it really is fall and I didn't plant any fall veggies!

My reality is that I had some surgery last week, and can't
anything for another three.

insert much foul grumbling here

I won't be able to start any lettuce or spinach until almost
November.

I do have lots of fall flowers blooming, but they don't last long around
here (Nebraska).

Yes, we're into the fall season here in South Carolina, only ours
won't end as soon as yours. I am enjoying sitting on the front
porch, and watching the butterflies and hummingbirds every
morning, though.

It won't be but a few more weeks and we will have snow.
I'm trying to plan my "winterizing" between now and then. VERY busy time of
year with 3 sons' birthdays (2 in October and 1 on November 1st), plus
Halloween costumes (I sew them), the election, Fall carnival at youngest
son's school...do I need to go on?

whiiiiiiine See, I feel so left out. Everyone's busy but me. I
even had to give a bunch of my peppers away because I can't
process them fast enough.

You better believe I kept those last few tomatoes, though!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 28-09-2004, 06:19 PM
FDR

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Is everyone out in their gardens

We're in the stage of gardening known as "remorse and panic," in which one
realizes how quickly life untended gets away...

I found some turnips out there, but nearly needed a machete...

Don't hurt the Fraggles and Doozers.

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic