Old 17-10-2004, 03:55 AM
SugarChile

Not stodgy at all, I should have been more specific. I grow Hungarian
Semi-hots; I get the seed from Nichol's Garden Nursery:
http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/...CUUFQ29AVGFCLE

They are reliable, heavy producers for me, doing well in both drought and
very wet summers. They are a bit hot, but not panic inducing. They are
good stuffed, but also do fine in sautés, omelets, etc.
Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:21:35 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

Hungarian Hots

Are y'all talking about hot wax peppers?

Um, at the risk of being a stogy old pedant, they come in at
least a handful of varieties and have a heat range of medium to
hot. The Wenk's Yellow Hot I mentioned in the first post
is a hot wax type.

What kind did you grow this year?

Penelope

Old 17-10-2004, 01:40 PM
GA Pinhead

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:48:23 -0400, "GA Pinhead"
wrote:

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message

There's another I haven't grown in a few years. With the problems
I've had with bell peppers lately, I'm inclined to try other
kinds of sweet peppers.

I have been growing Figaro - they get 6+ feet tall so staking is a must.
Thick flavorful. Great for stuffing! I don't even grow bells anymore.

Six feet is very impressive! Did you grow them from seed, and if
so, where did you get the seeds?

Shepherds seeds - I have not checked Renee's yet, I buy a couple of year's
worth of pepper and tomato seeds at a time. Helps with supply problems...
like San Remo tomato that became hard to find last year.

My bamboo stakes made it 3 years but I am thinking of going with rebar, 8'
long. Never have to replace them again.

Happy gardening! John!

Old 17-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Ken Anderson

"SugarChile" wrote in message
Not stodgy at all, I should have been more specific. I grow Hungarian
Semi-hots; I get the seed from Nichol's Garden Nursery:

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/...CUUFQ29AVGFCLE

They are reliable, heavy producers for me, doing well in both drought and
very wet summers. They are a bit hot, but not panic inducing. They are
good stuffed, but also do fine in sautés, omelets, etc.
Cheers,
Sue

I've always heard it said that Hungarians' heat varies due to weather
conditions. I don't know if it's true, but it's possible that folks are
simply growing different cultivars (?) without knowing it.