Old 15-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Max Jefferson

Default Can you buy Apple trees to plant that are already producing fruit?

Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them?

I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years
until they produce fruit.
Old 16-10-2004, 02:19 AM
zxcvbob

Max Jefferson wrote:

Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them?

I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years
until they produce fruit.

I'm pretty sure one can buy almost anything.

Can you wait 2 years? Plant semi-dwarf trees.

Bob

Old 16-10-2004, 05:19 AM
sherwindu

You may find a mature fruit tree in a nursery, but it may not be your
best choice for
transplanting either because of it's size or the difficulties with more
mature trees. These mature trees do not take well to transplanting, but
if you are willing to take the
risk, its up to you. Most young trees start out by producing just a
handful of fruit,
and people will sometimes not allow them to reach any reasonable size to
encourage
better root growth for future tree health. If you decide to buy a
non-bearing fruit tree, keep in mind that a dwarf rootstock will yield
fruit a few years sooner than a
full size tree. I'm not sure what your hurry is, but I hope it's not
part of the trend of
instant gratification some people are seeking. Watching a tree grow
from a whip is
almost like raising a child, as opposed to adopting a full grown kid.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 16-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Max.

Almost all the trees I have bought from a nursery come with instructions.
In each case the instructions said to pinch off any blooms the first year to
allow all the energy to go to the root structure. Good luck in whatever you
decide.

Dwayne

om...

Old 16-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Sunflower

"Max Jefferson" wrote in message
om...
Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them?

I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years
until they produce fruit.

Buy some dwarf or semi dwarf trees and visit the farmer's market for a
couple of years while they establish. Large trees don't transplant well,
and even if you were to try, it'd take 2 years for them to settle in enough
to really get fruit from them, and that's if everything goes right and you
don't kill them.

Old 17-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Charles Newton

"Max Jefferson" wrote in message
om...
Or do you have to wait 3-5 years after planting them?

I want apple trees on my property but I don't want to wait 3-5 years
until they produce fruit.

Buy some property with producing apple trees, bubba. Thanks - C.

Old 17-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

Buy some dwarf or semi dwarf trees and visit the farmer's market for a
couple of years while they establish. Large trees don't transplant well,
and even if you were to try, it'd take 2 years for them to settle in
enough
to really get fruit from them, and that's if everything goes right and you
don't kill them.

As always, it all depends on the situation. When I bought this house, we
moved an apple tree which had been planted ten years before as a "twig"
and was well established. We pruned it back rather severely, per the tree
man's advice. He then hand dug around the roots and balled them in
burlap. We then lifted it onto the truck with a small backhoe. We had
the hole dug at the new house well ahead of time. The day it was moved, a
contractor used the bucket of a track excavator and lovingly lifted it
from the truck, over my fence, and set it gently into the hole.

That particular tree had much love and caring surrounding it and responded
to it very well. It bore a good crop of fruit the following spring (and
every year since) even though nearly everyone told me it would kill it to
move it.

This probably wouldn't work with many ten-year established trees, but it
did with this one. It is important to me; my son and I planted it when it
was a baby; he may be gone but our tree is still with me. It is an
official "grandchild" (complete with "birth certificate) of the Old Apple
Tree which turned 186 (I think) this year. Each fall, The Old Apple
Tree's birthday is celebrated in our community.

In all that plant moving, in addition to rose bushes, we also moved
several large lilac bushes and rhodies; the largest rhodie was 12 feet
tall. Every one lived and flourished. The secret was a lot of love, good
soaking of water before starting, working in the dark of the moon, moving
in mid-fall, and careful re-planting and a lot more water. Sometimes, it
seems the plants know how much they are loved. Sadly, sometimes they die
anyway, but these did not.

And this for the woman who could kill any house plant that came her way!!!

Glenna

Old 26-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:19:19 GMT, sherwindu
wrote:

[...]

My neighbor bought a pecan 'tree' a number of years ago that was a 5'
switch. The 2nd year we tied an onion bag around its single nut to
keep it from the squirrels. Last year we mourned when hurricane Isabel
broke one of the many large, heavily-laden branches that shade her
back yard.. It doesn't take long.