Old 31-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Bill Moats

Default Meyer Lemon Ripeness

How do you know when a Meyer lemon is ripe? I've had a plant for a couple of
years in a pot and it has a couple of lemons on it that are turning yellow.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Linda Barsalou

I have had lemons on my Meyer's lemon for the last three years and I
find that when they look like the ones I buy in the store they are ripe.
That is they are fully yellow. The great thing about them is that
when they are tree ripened unlike the ones in the store, they have a
great sweet taste as well as the tangy lemoney taste. You can almost
eat them like an orange if you like very tart tasting fruit.

Linda

Old 02-11-2004, 09:03 PM
M. Tiefert

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:38:15 -0500, Linda Barsalou
wrote:

The great thing about them is that when they are tree ripened unlike the
ones in the store, they have a great sweet taste as well as the tangy
lemoney taste. You can almost eat them like an orange if you like very
tart tasting fruit.

And they also smell wonderful!

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html

Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM
John Savage

"Bill Moats" writes:
How do you know when a Meyer lemon is ripe? I've had a plant for a couple of
years in a pot and it has a couple of lemons on it that are turning yellow.

They are ripe when they look like the ones in the supermarket. :-)

Old 05-11-2004, 02:42 AM
Richard Cline

In article , John
Savage wrote:

I had an old experienced commercial gardener tell me that lemons were
ripe whenever you choose to pick them. They never truely ripen. A
lemon is sour. It is sour when it is yellow and it is sour when it is
green. One of the other posters indicated that the Meyer lemon does
sweeten a bit, but they never get really sweet. You can wait too long
until the lemon starts to dry out on the inside.

Dick

Old 13-12-2004, 04:44 AM
Dennis F.

A local radio expert nurseryman/horticulturist (SF Bay Area 560AM)
provided the answer that you can always just watch the stem to the
base of the lemon, when it begins to turn from green to darker color
the lemon has reached it's peak of maturity (ripe & ready for tea)!

-DF