Old 06-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Jo M

Default Planting shallots

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.

Jo

Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jo M said:

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.

From sets?
Probably the middle of last month (October). About the time you would have
planted bulbs like tulips or daffodils.

There are new varieties that are started from seed. Start those indoors, or
in a greenhouse in January or February to set out in mid-April to early May.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Brigitte

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Jo M said:

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.

From sets?
Probably the middle of last month (October). About the time you would

have
planted bulbs like tulips or daffodils.

I didn't get my tulips and hyacinth bulbs planted in October. I had to
leave the state for a month and when I got back, October was history. Can I
still plant them?

I'm also in Zone 5 (southeast Nebraska)

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 07-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jo M said:

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.

From sets?
Probably the middle of last month (October). About the time you would

have
planted bulbs like tulips or daffodils.

I didn't get my tulips and hyacinth bulbs planted in October. I had to
leave the state for a month and when I got back, October was history. Can I
still plant them?

Do it now! And if you can't do it now, pile some mulch really deep where
you intend to plant them, and store them in the refrigerator crisper until
you can plant them--but don't procrastinate.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 11-11-2004, 06:57 AM
EV

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Jo M said:

When should I plant shallots? I live in Zone 5.

From sets?
Probably the middle of last month (October). About the time you would have
planted bulbs like tulips or daffodils.

My shallots were from Holland and aren't winter hardy here in Zone 6. I plant
them in the sping, at the end of May. It actually works out well. We usually
harvest them at the end of July. Then we use as much as we need over the
summer, fall and winter, and then plant out whatever is left in the spring.

I haven't been able to put my garlic in yet ... because I had to take the
orphan tomatoes out and dig up the horseradish first! It never ends! As long
as I get it in the ground before it freezes, the garlic does great ... Fish
Lake Northern garlic.

EV