Old 07-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Greg Miller

Default Asian Pear Tree - Zone 5?

Has anyone had success with an asian pear tree in Zone 5? I think
they're listed as hardy to zone 5, but I've never seen any in my area
and I can't locate a grower in Canada.

I know Miller and a few others sell 'em but they won't ship outside
the U.S.

Thanks,
Greg
USDA Zone 5
Old 09-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Ben Sharvy

There's a Canadian nursery listed he

http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edibleFiles/references.html

....albeit with reservations (I've never tried the nursery, but
couldn't get their main links to work. The text links at the bottom of
the page worked).
Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Pen

I've got 2 Shandong pears, they've done very well in zone 5, Ontario.
I haven't been able to find asian pears at nurseries either which is
an odd thing given how low maintenance they are. You may have contact
Agriculture Canada (http://www.agr.gc.ca/) before ordering from US.
Or, take a chance and sprout some from seeds...

Old 10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Hassen bin Lai

(Pen) wrote in message om...
I've got 2 Shandong pears, they've done very well in zone 5, Ontario.
I haven't been able to find asian pears at nurseries either which is
an odd thing given how low maintenance they are. You may have contact
Agriculture Canada (
http://www.agr.gc.ca/) before ordering from US.
Or, take a chance and sprout some from seeds...

Perhaps you can offer him some leave buds from your trees. It's much
faster than seeds. Years ago I was able to bud graft a few on young
ornamental pears. As far as I know they are still bearing. I have no
luck myself because squirrels get every last one before they reach
golf ball size.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:52 AM
sherwindu

Try putting mesh nets around your pears. It will certainly deter the squirrels, and
possibly stop them. If they are really hungry, they might chew through them, but I
find the technique helps a lot.

Sherwin D.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Greg Miller

Pen, where did you get your tree? I don't have any experience with
grafting or the like. I guess I'd need a rootstock on which to graft.

That's a good idea. Greg, if you want some Shandong pear twigs, let
me know. I've never seen squirrels eat pears but they'll dig a pit
and throw the fallen pears in.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Dwayne

Hi Greg, I was visiting a friend in Arkansas last week and we were talking
about bud grafting. He went over to one of his pear trees and found a that
he was going to prune off in a few months anyway, cut a horizontal line
about 1/2 inch above and below a leaf on the waterspout. Then he made two
diagonal slices, one on each side of the leaf (it had a bud just above where
the leaf stem attached to the waterspout), and carefully "skinned" it off
the branch. Then he went to a limb that needed another bud, and made two
horizontal slits in the limb about an inch apart, and one diagonal slit that
connected the horizontal one. Then he just carefully peeled the bark back
on the limb, placed the bud into the slit, replaced the bark over the bud,
and taped it with masking tape.

The whole operation tool less than 10 to 15 minutes. He has done this for
years, apparently and showed me where he started with a pear tree that had
been broken off by the wind and put up a waterspout. He grafted the bud
onto the waterspout and pruned it to make the bud the main stem of the pear
tree.

That tree isn't very pretty, but he sure has some good pears off of it.
Back to your original question, I get mine from Stark located in Washington
or Oregon. They may ship to you but I cant say for sure. You might talk
to them. I just looked but couldn't find their catalog for an address or
e-mail, but you might find them on the internet.

Dwayne

om...

Old 14-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Pen

They were gifts from friends when we moved here 27 years ago. I
sprouted a Ya pear from seeds 2 years ago. It's taking winter quite
well. I'll have to wait to see if it'll fruit...

Old 15-11-2004, 01:43 AM
Dwayne

Greg. I was wrong. I ordered them from Raintree in Washington. 1 888 770
8358 or RaintreeNursery.com. You might want to try them.

Dwayne