Old 13-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Ben Peddell

Default Can anyone identify this Canna?

I've photographed a sample of:
A leaf
A branch with:
two green seed pods
three brown seed pods
a set of three flowers
One seed

This photograph (about 1 megapixel - 245kB) is at:
http://klightspeed.customer.netspace.net.au/100_0052.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone can identify whether it's a C. indica or some
other Canna.

We are in Bowen, Queensland, Australia, and we've been growing them from
seeds collected from the Canna that grew after we started tending the
garden.

Splitting the seed with a hammer reveals a black shell about the
thickness of three 80gsm sheets of paper, then a hard white substance
with a hole on one end, surrounding the about 1/16" diameter plant germ,
which grows out of the aforementioned hole.

Old 13-11-2004, 01:36 PM
kilikini

"Ben Peddell" wrote in message
[...]

Shoots, we had those all over Hawaii and they're like a weed; they just keep
cropping up. I never knew what their name was, but the flower really
doesn't open very much. Wish I could help you. It *is* a canna though,
you're right. They come in orange, red and a mix of a veined orange-red.

kili

Old 13-11-2004, 01:43 PM
starlord

It's a very old canna, one of the true types and I got it while living in
Hawaii and now maket it as Tiki Torch canna.

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Telescope Buyers FAQ

"kilikini" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old 13-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Craig Watts

Shoots, we had those all over Hawaii and they're like a weed; they just keep
cropping up. I never knew what their name was, but the flower really
doesn't open very much. Wish I could help you. It *is* a canna though,
you're right. They come in orange, red and a mix of a veined orange-red.

kili

Kili,
Get back to your room! AFBinaries.....

chuckle.

Good seeing you here.

Craig

Old 14-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Ben Peddell

starlord wrote:

It's a very old canna, one of the true types and I got it while living in
Hawaii and now maket it as Tiki Torch canna.

Thankyou.
I notice that the Tiki Torch has purple near the flowers. I cannot see any
purple on any of our cannas.

I was asking because I was wondering whether anyone could identify whether
it's an edible one or just an ornamental hybrid.
Appearantly, the rhizome of C. indica / C. edulis is full of arrowroot-like
starch.

I guess that there are _lots_ of different Canna hybrids around, which makes
it hard to tell exactly what type of Canna it is.

Old 15-11-2004, 09:24 AM
kilikini

"Craig Watts" wrote in message
Shoots, we had those all over Hawaii and they're like a weed; they just

keep
cropping up. I never knew what their name was, but the flower really
doesn't open very much. Wish I could help you. It *is* a canna though,
you're right. They come in orange, red and a mix of a veined orange-red.

kili

Kili,
Get back to your room! AFBinaries.....

chuckle.

Good seeing you here.

Craig

Hey, it's Usenet, I can go wherever I want, so there! :~P

kili