Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black Currants

Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be eaten
straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary types.

Does anyone know the name and source of supply ?
Best regards....

vsop

Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be eaten
straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary types.

Eh? Normal blackcurrants AREN'T acrid when ripe, and are perfectly
edible straight off the bush. If they have bred one almost completely
without acid or other 'bite', it will be truly revolting. There are
fruits like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote ...
Nick wrote:
vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be
eaten
straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary types.

Eh? Normal blackcurrants AREN'T acrid when ripe, and are perfectly
edible straight off the bush. If they have bred one almost completely
without acid or other 'bite', it will be truly revolting. There are
fruits like that.

Trouble is unless you net them the birds eat them before they are even
remotely ripe. There are red desert gooseberries that are much sweeter
than the normal sort and jostaberries too - though you have to fight the
birds off for them with netting if you want any of the crop.

The OP might mean cv Ebony available from (annoyingly slow website)

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Ebony-Blackcurrant

Strange, our blackcurrant bush was covered in fruit this year, probably
because we didn't want any, and the birds just didn't touch them even when
some fell to the ground.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2010 11:37, vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be
eaten straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary
types.

Does anyone know the name and source of supply ?
Best regards....

vsop

It may be 'Noiroma', bred by Lubera for Suttons.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be eaten
straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary types.

Does anyone know the name and source of supply ?

Can't think of the name, but I've seen it in the Thompson + Morgan
catalogue, iirc. It's not Big Ben, is it?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be
eaten straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary
types.

Does anyone know the name and source of supply ?

Dunno, but I often eat blackcurrants straight from the bush. TAAAW,
carefully topped and tailed they are scrumptious fresh, with double cream...

Now try this: lightly-cook blackcurrants, using only enough water to
prevent catching on the bottom of the pan, and while this is taking
place, put half a pint of double cream into the food-procssor and
whip-up with two tablespoons of a good dark rum.

Cover fruit while still hot.

Observant Urglers will notice the absence of sugar.

--
Rusty
Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:50:17 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

vsop wrote:
Some months ago we read somewhere that a new variety of blackcurrant had
been introduced which (for the first time) was so sweet it could be
eaten straight from the bush and was not like the usual acrid culinary
types.

Does anyone know the name and source of supply ?

Dunno, but I often eat blackcurrants straight from the bush. TAAAW,
carefully topped and tailed they are scrumptious fresh, with double cream...

Now try this: lightly-cook blackcurrants, using only enough water to
prevent catching on the bottom of the pan, and while this is taking
place, put half a pint of double cream into the food-procssor and
whip-up with two tablespoons of a good dark rum.

Cover fruit while still hot.

Observant Urglers will notice the absence of sugar.

and the glass of rum in your hand.

It's behind my back.

--
Rusty