Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Dawn

Default is there a difference in seeds?

Now that I'm being inundated with seed catalogs, I find myself wondering
if there is a difference between the seeds I can buy at the local
drugstore and the seeds from these catalogs --other than the catalogs
having a better variety. Are the mail order seeds going to be more
likely to germinate, or to produce stronger plants?

Dawn

Old 03-01-2005, 03:33 AM
Dwayne

I cant answer your question, but I have been very happy with seeds from the
mail-order catalogs. Plus, if they don't perform to your satisfaction, the
catalog will refund your money, send new seeds, or maybe even give you
credit on other seed. I have never had a local store do that without a
receipt. Plus you have a much larger selection to chose from in the
catalog.

Dwayne

Old 03-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Bubba

Dawn wrote:

Now that I'm being inundated with seed catalogs, I find myself
wondering if there is a difference between the seeds I can buy at the
local drugstore and the seeds from these catalogs --other than the
catalogs having a better variety. Are the mail order seeds going to be
more likely to germinate, or to produce stronger plants?

Dawn

I've had good experience with both, but the local stuff tends to be less
expensive. I've had very good luck with seeds from the local "feed and
seed" stores in town. The seeds they sell are specific to the area, and
they can usually offer some good advice as well. Your local extension
office could probably point you in the right direction.

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Old 04-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:22:34 GMT, Dawn
wrote:

Now that I'm being inundated with seed catalogs, I find myself wondering
if there is a difference between the seeds I can buy at the local
drugstore and the seeds from these catalogs --other than the catalogs
having a better variety. Are the mail order seeds going to be more
likely to germinate, or to produce stronger plants?

I would say that on average, regular ol' seeds from any commercial
source are about the same. The advantage of brand-name catalogues is
the variety and usually guarantee of satisfaction. If I want to grow
generic flat-leaf parsley, I pick up a 10-cent packet at the dollar
store. If I want to try a new pepper hybrid, I go with a catalogue (or
a well-stocked garden center). I think my own care in starting seeds
has a lot more to do with germination rate than brand, 'though
statistically, the respectable seed houses performance *could* be
superior. Since one of my perpetual problems is too many plants, a
failed seed here and there doesn't bother me much. :-)

Old 04-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

wrote:

[...]

I'm the same way, I'll order from catalogs to get the less common
varieties I like to grow but I also use the 10 cent a pack seeds from
the dollar store and the 25 cent ones from Walmart quite a bit, mostly
for ornamentals but for many edibles too. I've never noticed any
significant difference in germination or quality. The only real
difference is sometimes the cheap packs have not so many seeds in them,
particularly for the large seeds like nasturtiums which may have only 5
or 6. But like you say, too many plants can be a problem.if

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero

Old 04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
omi

wrote:
Now that I'm being inundated with seed catalogs, I find myself wondering if
there is a difference between the seeds I can buy at the local drugstore
and the seeds from these catalogs --other than the catalogs having a better
variety. Are the mail order seeds going to be more likely to germinate, or
to produce stronger plants?

We live in Phoenix AZ where we get some pretty extreme high temperatures
and low
humidity (often reported as "trace"). Many garden centers display their
seeds,
usually under a roof but otherwise exposed to the environment. Most of the
major catalog seed companies can store their seed in a temperature-humidity
controlled ambient and for some like Johnny's, Park, Burpee, I get nearly
100
percent germination. Some of the seed companies will double the a seed
order at
no extra cost when they know the germination rate is low. I would say
generally the mail order seeds re better in our case but that would not
necessarily apply in other regions.

Olin

Old 05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
tomhooper

Lots of companies sell seeds for profit. Most are good. If you really care
search heirloom seeds on the net and buy the best. Here's a place for
peppers.

http://www.pepperjoe.com/

twh

Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 AM
FarmerDill

Don't know about the drugstores. But all the major players buy thir seeds from
the same groups of international seed producers. Many feed and seed stores buy
in bulk and can sell an oz o f seed ror about the same price as a packet of a
couple dozen seed. Plus you save the shipping and handling. In this area the
major prepackaged players are Burpee and Ferry Morse. Prices about the same
whether off the rack or mailorder, except for shipping and handling which can
be pricey. There a few stores that will keep old seed on the rack so look for
the "packaged for date"