Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Cindi

Default Seeking source for cheap tomato seeds

A relative in the Caribbean asked me to send them some tomato seeds.
Normally, I could find them in Big Lots and Walmart for $0.10 a pack
but it is currently out of season.

Looking for a mail order web site that has similar pricing and low
shipping prices.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Someone

Cindi wrote:
A relative in the Caribbean asked me to send them some tomato seeds.
Normally, I could find them in Big Lots and Walmart for $0.10 a pack
but it is currently out of season.

Looking for a mail order web site that has similar pricing and low
shipping prices.

the clearance rack at the hardward store?

Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Katra

In article ,
Someone wrote:

Cindi wrote:
A relative in the Caribbean asked me to send them some tomato seeds.
Normally, I could find them in Big Lots and Walmart for $0.10 a pack
but it is currently out of season.

Looking for a mail order web site that has similar pricing and low
shipping prices.

the clearance rack at the hardward store?

How about fresh ripe tomatoes???

Remove, rinse and dry your own.

They do quite well.
--
K.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
dps

(1) If you plant tomatoes yourself, you can save the leftover seeds for
several years, so you should have a ready supply to share. I have had 10
year old tomato seeds sprout with better than 50% germination.

(2) Tomato seeds are easy to extract from tomatoes. Take out the seeds
and place in water for a few days. They will ferment a bit. Scrape off
the gunk and spread the seeds on a piece of paper to dry. You can eat
the tomato that's left over from this operation. The only disadvantage
to this is that if you start with a hybrid tomato, you may not get the
same thing when you grow the plant from the seeds (although it will most
likely be similar, and almost certainly edible).

(3) Buying cheap seeds is counterproductive. They're cheap for a reason.
Ten cent packages probably have lower germination rates than fresh
seeds, although tomatoes have less of this problem than other
vegetables. Also, the postage to send the seeds to the caribbean will
far exceed the cost of cheap seeds, so you can afford to spend a bit
more on the seeds. You can share a packet of fresh seeds.

(4) If your relative wants only a couple of tomato plants, a cheap seed
packet would probably work, but when planting any vegetable it's best to
select the seeds on the basis of the resulting fruit, not the price of
the packet. If your relative wants a lot of plants it would be better to
start with fresh seed to ensure better productivity.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
tomhooper

Cindi,
I suggest you check out this site and see if they have tropically suited
tomato seeds. Otherwise search net for heirloom seeds. Cheap is just that.
Your friend won't appreciate getting crap. JMHO.

http://www.echonet.org/

you could send them the site address also... It's nice to care about your
friends.
twh

ups.com...

Old 23-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Cindi

My relative was thinking about planting several acres of tomatoes and
therefore didn't want to spend a lot on seeds and was seeking the
cheapest source possible. Ideally if I could locate 50 or so of those
$0.10 packs normally sold in Walmart during the summer and put them
into one container for him and mailed, it would be incredibly cheap.

I understand that cheap seeds have lower germination rates. This is ok.
The idea was to take part of the seeds and plant on unused land and use
the profits for charitable purposes. Planting tomatoes would also
create temporary jobs that are sorely needed.

Old 23-01-2005, 02:14 PM
GA Pinhead

Cindi:

Did you seee this from SeedFreak?

Try Lonniesbulkseeds.com they have large seed packs for only a buck!
and free shipping. Seed quality matters, meaning when the seeds were
harvested (at peak or prior or before peak ripeness) and how they are
stored. Seeds will lose germination if left in moist or fluctuating
temps/environments. Seeds will also lose germination over time of
course how much germination they lose again depens on how they were
stored. Unless a seed is very rare I just can't spend $2.50+ on a pack
of 150 seeds from a big name catalog. If only i were that rich....

John!
oups.com...

Old 23-01-2005, 02:16 PM
GA Pinhead

Looks like flowers only, sorry!

John!

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
Cindi:

Did you seee this from SeedFreak?

Try Lonniesbulkseeds.com they have large seed packs for only a buck!
and free shipping. Seed quality matters, meaning when the seeds were
harvested (at peak or prior or before peak ripeness) and how they are
stored. Seeds will lose germination if left in moist or fluctuating
temps/environments. Seeds will also lose germination over time of
course how much germination they lose again depens on how they were
stored. Unless a seed is very rare I just can't spend $2.50+ on a pack
of 150 seeds from a big name catalog. If only i were that rich....

John!
"Cindi" wrote in message
oups.com...
My relative was thinking about planting several acres of tomatoes and
therefore didn't want to spend a lot on seeds and was seeking the
cheapest source possible. Ideally if I could locate 50 or so of those
$0.10 packs normally sold in Walmart during the summer and put them
into one container for him and mailed, it would be incredibly cheap.

I understand that cheap seeds have lower germination rates. This is ok.
The idea was to take part of the seeds and plant on unused land and use
the profits for charitable purposes. Planting tomatoes would also
create temporary jobs that are sorely needed.

ROGER THE BOX MAN SINCE 1996 CHEAP*CHEAP NEW\USED MOVING BOXES & [email protected] Gardening 0 02-04-2008 06:29 AM
Seeking source for cheap tomato seeds Cindi Gardening 7 23-01-2005 02:16 PM
Cheap Seeds and tomato plants Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Can anyone recommend a good source of 'Gardeners delight' tomato seeds [email protected] United Kingdom 4 04-03-2003 10:14 PM