Old 24-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Richard

Default Seed catalogs

I recently got 2 seed catalogs, one form Henry Fiekds and the other
from Gurney. I started to browse them and it seemed that on identical
items they have the same price and catalog number. Are they the same
company with different branches?
Richard
Old 24-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Rogerx

I am not sure if they are affiliated or not.

At one time Gurneys was the premier seed catalog out there.

But something has changed. Last year, my order was very
unsatisfactory. The product was fine, but I received the order in
"dribbles", some seeds never arrived until after I had bought them
elsewhere. I ordered them online, and after 2 weeks I called them and
they said my order was being processed. Anyway, no more Gurneys for
me.

Old 24-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Gary Woods

Richard wrote:

I recently got 2 seed catalogs, one form Henry Fiekds and the other
from Gurney.

Gurney's nearly went belly up and was bought by someone else... I don't
know if Henry Field's is the parent company, but they're as close as J. C.
Whitney and Warshawski & Co.

The seed business isn't exempt; fewer and fewer companies. Good reason to
save your own.

Old 24-01-2005, 06:04 PM
FarmerDill

Spring Hill Nurseries, Henry Field Seed & Nursery, Gurney Seed & Nursery,
Michigan Bulb, the Garden Store, Flower of the Month and Breck's Bulb are owned
by Gardens Alive, Inc.
Old 25-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Gary Woods

"Loki" wrote:

I'm not so sure all my neighbours are impressed with the seeding
plants, they can get sooo ugly (the plants ;-))

I'll agree on beets... tall alien-looking branchy things. But leeks look
just like their refined flowering allium cousins:

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...ekBlossom2.jpg

Now, if I can actually build the winnowing machine I've re-designed in my
head a half-dozen times!