Old 29-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Kate Gilbert

Default Need help , very bad ......

We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might ) It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone
pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in
south Texas. A neighbor said, he had a similar problem last year . It
was an armadillo. His dog got it, and he shot another. We have never
seen one around. Really, seen nothing that could dig , like this. I
first thought a coyote maybe. But have decided that wouldn't be likely.
This darn thing has started to visit almost every night. My husband
thinks he'll try to sit outside and shoot it. I don't want an armadillo
shot. There aren't many anymore as it is. Does anyone have any idea what
we are dealing with? Can any of you suggest a way we might trap it? Are
maybe ( hopefully ) discourage it ? I have tried sprinkling red pepper
and mothballs. I really think it ate the mothballs. They disappeared in
a day are two. No rain , in the meanwhile.
Old 29-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Katra

In article ,
Kate Gilbert wrote:

[...]

It probably IS an armadillo...

You do not have to shoot it, they are very easy to capture by hand.
I've done it several times, just be careful!!!
You don't want to get scratched as a small population of armadillos
carries Leprosy.

Sneak up behind it slowly and carefully, then grab it by the tail and
hold it at arms length. Drop it into a cage or sack and relocate it.

You are right. There are not that many around here anymore!

Good luck! :-)

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 29-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Thomas

Rest assured there is no shortage of armadillos, at least here in the Waco/
DFW area. It shouldn't be hard to trap. You might try calling your County
Extension Agent and see if they have traps or could lead you in the
direction to get one.
Thomas

Old 30-03-2005, 12:14 AM
David

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Kate Gilbert wrote:

[...]

You folks in Texas want some of ours? Here in Florida we seem to have a
surfeit.

I've seen lots of armadillo holes and digs, but nothing as big as a
large dog would make. Is this a matter of a Texas sized armadillo ;-)

Seriously, we get armadillo tunnels and shallow digs to get to roots,
but that's all.

David

Old 30-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Kate Gilbert

David wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Kate Gilbert wrote:

[...]

I kid you not. Whatever this thing is, he does dig a serious hole.
There may be more than one animal. Because last night he had a field
day, if he is alone. We filled in twenty - eight holes this morning.
Some small , others deep and large. He seems to like areas where we have
watered trees and plants recently. We have lived here seven years and
never even seen one armadillo. That was our neighbors idea. We have no
clue what it can be, actually. Thank all who tried to help. Kate

Old 30-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Thomas" scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com in
:

Rest assured there is no shortage of armadillos, at least here in the
Waco/ DFW area. It shouldn't be hard to trap. You might try calling
your County Extension Agent and see if they have traps or could lead
you in the direction to get one.

sounds good

Thomas
"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message
We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might )
It digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has
started in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a
telephone pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate.

This darn thing has started to visit almost every
night. My husband thinks he'll try to sit outside and shoot it. I
don't want an armadillo shot. There aren't many anymore as it is.
Does anyone have any idea what we are dealing with?

have you called Art Bell about this? :P

Old 30-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Katra

In article ,
David wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Kate Gilbert wrote:

[...]

grins
Might help us with the fire ant problem!

I've seen lots of armadillo holes and digs, but nothing as big as a
large dog would make. Is this a matter of a Texas sized armadillo ;-)

Nah. I've seen them tunnel aggressively here. They can do extensive
damage to gardens and flower beds.

It can be a common problem, especially if you have fertile soil with a
lot of earthworms.

Seriously, we get armadillo tunnels and shallow digs to get to roots,
but that's all.

David

You are fortunate!

Old 30-03-2005, 08:38 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message
We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might ) It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone
pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in
south Texas.

Is that Texas USA? Well it probably isn't a wombat then.

David

Old 30-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Katra

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message
We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might ) It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone
pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in
south Texas.

Is that Texas USA? Well it probably isn't a wombat then.

David

lol No, no wombats in Texas! ;-)
Is a Wombat a marsupial?
The only American marsupila is the opossum.

Slight possibility it might be a badger, but I doubt it.

Old 30-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Kate Gilbert

[...]

I have called no one except neighbors. Kate

Old 30-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Kate Gilbert

David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message

We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might ) It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone
pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in
south Texas.

Is that Texas USA? Well it probably isn't a wombat then.

David

Yes, we live in south Texas , USA. Kate
Old 31-03-2005, 08:29 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message
We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might )

It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has

started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone
pole, He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in
south Texas.

Is that Texas USA? Well it probably isn't a wombat then.

David

lol No, no wombats in Texas! ;-)
Is a Wombat a marsupial?

Yes it is, it's like a pig with very short legs crossed with a bulldozer.
They have them at Texas QLD (Australia)

David

Old 31-03-2005, 09:24 AM
China

G'day All,
It's easy to recognise if its a wombat.
He's the one that eats roots and leaves. Pick him every time.

China
Wingham
NSW
065

Old 31-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Katra

In article ,
"China" wrote:

lol No, no wombats in Texas! ;-)
Is a Wombat a marsupial?

Yes it is, it's like a pig with very short legs crossed with a bulldozer.
They have them at Texas QLD (Australia)

David

G'day All,
It's easy to recognise if its a wombat.
He's the one that eats roots and leaves. Pick him every time.

China
Wingham
NSW
065

What we need here are one that eat ANTS! ;-)
--
K.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:30 AM
China

Is that Texas USA? Well it probably isn't a wombat then.

David

Yes, we live in south Texas , USA. Kate

Could it be the neighbours then?

China