Old 31-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Kate Gilbert

Katra wrote:
In article ,
"China" wrote:

lol No, no wombats in Texas! ;-)
Is a Wombat a marsupial?

Yes it is, it's like a pig with very short legs crossed with a bulldozer.
They have them at Texas QLD (Australia)

David

G'day All,
It's easy to recognise if its a wombat.
He's the one that eats roots and leaves. Pick him every time.

China
Wingham
NSW
065

What we need here are one that eat ANTS! ;-)

You have that one right, feller. kate
Old 02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Jim Ferguson

"Kate Gilbert" wrote in message
We have something digging holes. ( big ones , like a big dog might ) It
digs all over the yard and garden. Just here and there. Even has started
in the flower beds now. LAst night it dug so deep around a telephone pole,
He could dig up out of the ground , at this rate. We live in south Texas.
A neighbor said, he had a similar problem last year . It was an armadillo.
His dog got it, and he shot another. We have never seen one around.
Really, seen nothing that could dig , like this. I first thought a coyote
maybe. But have decided that wouldn't be likely. This darn thing has
started to visit almost every night. My husband thinks he'll try to sit
outside and shoot it. I don't want an armadillo shot. There aren't many
anymore as it is. Does anyone have any idea what we are dealing with? Can
any of you suggest a way we might trap it? Are maybe ( hopefully )
discourage it ? I have tried sprinkling red pepper and mothballs. I really
think it ate the mothballs. They disappeared in a day are two. No rain ,
in the meanwhile.

You might check out the possibility that wild pigs might be doing it. Here
in East Texas, they are so bad that they will almost destroy a yard or even
pastures. The first time we saw their digging, a couple of hundred of yards
from our house, we thought a group of people had been digging with shovels.
It's fairly easy to tell, you can see their tracks in moist soil. We have
lots of armadillos and they tend to make rather small holes, about the size
of your fist.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Kate Gilbert

Jim Ferguson wrote:
[...]

The last two nights our distruction crew, has not been at work. Hopefully

they have gone to bother someone a few miles away. The thing is that the
holes
are very big and deep. Most of them, anyway. Therefore if an armidillo
digs a
shallow and small hole.Then its not one of those. My husband sat out on
the
porch the last day we found them, until maybe 1 - AM. Saw nothing . We
never have heard a thing. Out of the ordinary. Just coyotes ,owls, and
things of the night like that. Never seen a wild pig. I suppose they are
around. The last morning we had the mess, we did notice five holes in
the farm field. Probably more had we went into the field to look. Kate