Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Dan Wenz

Default Tomatoes, Which of 4 Possible Available Soils?

I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland, USA area, around 40° N. latitude. A
nearby garden shop is selling quantities of soils, 3 Cu. Yd's. minimum
order. Beside a variety of flowering plants my wife is interested in
re-potting (we do have a small quantity of potting soil), I'd like to
grow some tomatoes, maybe green peppers, not a large number, not sure
what else. We did have a mostly tomato garden years ago, now taken over
for water gardens and flowering plants. I just want to throw a raised
soil (mix?) in one sunny area to grow the tomatoes, peppers, whatever.

Question is what soils might be most useful - I can order them in
separated "batches", to be mixed or not as I chose. The soils available
at the shop are mushroom, compost (leaf), topsoil, and garden soil (I
think has some sand content)- pretty vague terms I know - order of the
above is cheapest to most expensive. Googling for tomatoes/soils has
made my head spin - sounds like any of the above would be OK depending
on what I find the soils acidity might be, since I know I need a
slightly acid medium, possibly with some handfuls of limestone thrown
in. Any comments from you folks would be appreciated.