Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Weeds

I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)
Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 PM
FDR

wrote in message
I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

Either put a weed barrier down, mulch heavily or use Roundup

Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
shazzbat

wrote in message
I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

Roll her up and down the garden to crush the weeds. You can find a use for
anything in the garden if you just put your mind to it.

Steve

Old 11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Katra

In article ,
" wrote:

I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

If your wife is 9 months pregnant, she has no business out in the hot
Texas sun and humidity weeding... Don't be an ass.

Forget the tiller. Hand pull them. Wetting the garden down well first
will help.

I pay a local woman $10.00 per hour to do most of the weeding for me. G
I don't always have the time.......

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 11-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

If your wife is 9 months pregnant, she has no business out in the hot
Texas sun and humidity weeding... Don't be an ass.

It was pretty obviously a joke.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:19 AM
enigma

Katra wrote in
:

In article ,
" wrote:

I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a
Mantis mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care
of the weeds between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs
them, but leaves most of them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden
experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant"
thing, so she's no help. :-)

If your wife is 9 months pregnant, she has no business out
in the hot Texas sun and humidity weeding... Don't be an
ass.

i dunno... i got more weeding done when i was 9 months
pregnant than i have since. once i got down to weed level it
was too hard to get back up again
seriously, i think he was making a joke there.

Forget the tiller. Hand pull them. Wetting the garden down
well first will help.

actually those little tillers just stir up more weed seeds to
sprout. hand pull what you can & lay weed barrier, cardboard,
or mulch heavily between the rows. eventually the weeds will
get the hint.
lee
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 AM
TQ

wrote in message
I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

Get a hoe. Use it the day after it rains.

Also consider abandoning rows and plant in blocks. The plants will form a
canopy and the shade will prevent many weed seeds from germinating.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Katra

In article ,
" wrote:

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

If your wife is 9 months pregnant, she has no business out in the hot
Texas sun and humidity weeding... Don't be an ass.

It was pretty obviously a joke.

Sorry, it did not sound like it.
I apologize if it was meant as such......
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Also consider abandoning rows and plant in blocks. The plants will form a
canopy and the shade will prevent many weed seeds from germinating.

I have a book, "The Joy of Gardening," that talks about planting in
"wide rows."

I've had the book for years and never had the nerve to try the wide
rows. So it really works, huh?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I have a 30' x 40' garden.
Holy cow...I can't keep up with the weeds! I bought a Mantis
mini-tiller hoping that it would at least take care of the weeds
between rows, but it doesn't. It disturbs them, but leaves most of
them rooted.

Whew...the weeds are a real deterrant to the garden experience.

My wife is milking this whole "I'm 9 months pregnant" thing, so she's
no help. :-)

Newspaper is great for starving the weeds out. Lay it in the rows and around the plants. I always put it down around my tomato plants and then stick the cage through it to hold it down and keep the weeds from coming up around them.

I remember being in labor and out in the garden putting down straw around my plants to keep the weeds at bay while recouperating from having the baby.

Old 13-06-2005, 02:34 AM
TQ

wrote in message

Also consider abandoning rows and plant in blocks. The plants will form

canopy and the shade will prevent many weed seeds from germinating.

I have a book, "The Joy of Gardening," that talks about planting in
"wide rows."

I've had the book for years and never had the nerve to try the wide
rows. So it really works, huh?

Rows are good if you have a large garden and use mechanized means to
cultivate, but the space between the rows is easily 'wasted.'

Square foot gardening is the best method for me. Planting in blocks make
the best use of limited space. It's better to tend a small plot intensively
than struggle to keep up with a large plot.

My garden has three, four-foot wide beds about 40' long with strips of
'grass' in between. The grass strip is about one and a half times the width
of the lawnmower. Some plants are set on a diagonal line and others are
straight down the center-line....as the following ASCII art shows...

Romaine...
|.......4'......|
x x
x x
x x

Tomatoes...
|.......4'......|

Squash...
|.......4'......|
.. x
..
..
.. x
..
..
.. x

Bush cukes...
|.......4'......|
, x
,
, x
..
.. x

Old 14-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Nicole H

mulch with lots of newspaper or cardboard. you can put something on top of
the newspaper (leaves, grass clippings, etc) or just leave it as is...
newspaper/cardboard is a great weed suppressor. i've even put it on top of
growing weeds and it'll kill 'em since no sun can reach the weeds.

mulch is the secret to keeping weeds under control without a lot of work.
i use newspaper/cardboard and usually put compost on top and at the end of
the season, mix it all together.

Old 14-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Thanks for the replies!

My neighbor bags his clippings, and doesn't have a garden.
So I think after my next weeding I'll go grab a bunch.

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM