Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas
Smile Blueberries

My Blueberries are starting to ripen. I planted them along the fron of my house as a hedge. The Robin's however are trying to beat me to the ripe berries. So I have been picking them before they are fully ripened and letting them ripen in my house. I'm hoping that they will taste just as good.
Old 13-06-2005, 05:34 AM
Sylvan Butler

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:25:44 +0000, Maryc wrote:
ripened and letting them ripen in my house. I'm hoping that they will
taste just as good.

They won't. Blueberries do not further develop the sugars after
picking. Throw some netting over the plants to keep the birds off.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old 14-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Dwayne

I would cover them with netting or get out very early in the am and pick the
ones that are ready before the robins get around to it. My problem was the
mowing lady kept eating them before I could get to them. It was my wife so
I couldn't yell at her.

Dwayne

--
Maryc

Old 14-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

I tasted a few after I let them ripen in the house and they did seem to be pretty sweet. Maybe it is the varieties that I have. I have Jersey and Elizabeth and a couple of other varieties that I don't remember what they were. I am getting a few berries theough by picking them just a little before they are ripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne

Old 19-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Me too!!

I only get a few each morning. My bushes are quite young though. I have some that I just planted this year to replace other bushes. THe other bushes were some kind of gooseberry that the nersery guy talked me into buying and I hated the berries. So I dug them out and put in the blueberries that I wanted in the first place. Now I am much happier.