Old 23-01-2003, 01:55 PM
zhanataya

Default Blueberries in a pot

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:15:38 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Blueberries don't have a great root system and would greatly improve if you can
also use a little mychorriza fungi to the plants roots. When I potted mine I
used half peat moss, 1/4 leaf mold, and 1/4 compost. They like a pH of about
4.5 to 5.0. Hard to achieve.

Leaf mold I don't have. But I have friends in Myrtle Groove I can
probably get hold of some. What about some sulfer? Would you add
some to the mix?

Zhan
Old 23-01-2003, 02:04 PM
animaux

wrote:

Blueberries don't have a great root system and would greatly improve if you can
also use a little mychorriza fungi to the plants roots. When I potted mine I
used half peat moss, 1/4 leaf mold, and 1/4 compost. They like a pH of about
4.5 to 5.0. Hard to achieve.

Leaf mold I don't have. But I have friends in Myrtle Groove I can
probably get hold of some. What about some sulfer? Would you add
some to the mix?

Zhan

Yes, you can add sulfur, but it will take a while for it to bring the pH down.
That's why the mychorriza helps the plant uptake fertilizer even in higher pH
conditions till the soil mellows. If you can get the soil prepared and into the
pot a while before you plant the plant, it will be better.

Old 23-01-2003, 02:09 PM
zhanataya

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:19:29 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .

I have a pot about 15 gallon size and am planning on putting a seven
gallon blueberry plant in it. Is this an ok size for it? Does anyone
have any recommendations for soil mix? I know they need acid soil
but am not sure how to achieve the proper mix.

TIA, Zhan

I don't know whether you know it or not, but most blueberries need another
cultivar for cross pollination. I hope you have another 15 gallon pot for a
second plant.

BTW, I'm not doing so well with the five I've planted in a special bed. Two
are doing well, but the other three have been sitting without growing or
producing berries. They are watered with a drip system, and I used a lot of
peat moss on the bed last fall and hope that makes a difference.

As a point of interest, I have a shaded area in the southwest corner of my
yard where I have azaleas. Some native blueberries have make a home next to
one of the azaleas and are doing well with the same care the azaleas
receive. Their berries are small, but the taste is great.

John

Oh Oh I'm in trouble. Got plenty of pots, but when I bought the plant
the tag was missing. You wrote another cultivar. I take it that means
a different cultivar than I have. Hopefully the nursery will take it
back, especially since I'll be replacing it with two more. How shady
is shaded? I thought you could grow these things in full sun. Can
you tell I'm a fruit and vegetable-challenged gardener?

zhan
Old 23-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Leaf mold I don't have. But I have friends in Myrtle Groove I can
probably get hold of some. What about some sulfer? Would you add
some to the mix?

Zhan

Yes, you can add sulfur, but it will take a while for it to bring the pH down.
That's why the mychorriza helps the plant uptake fertilizer even in higher pH
conditions till the soil mellows. If you can get the soil prepared and into the
pot a while before you plant the plant, it will be better.

mycorrhizae

http://www.mycorrhizae.com/

Regards,

tomj

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution.
Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

- Thomas Edison
Old 23-01-2003, 02:32 PM
zhanataya

Leaf mold I don't have. But I have friends in Myrtle Groove I can
probably get hold of some. What about some sulfer? Would you add
some to the mix?

Zhan

Yes, you can add sulfur, but it will take a while for it to bring the pH down.
That's why the mychorriza helps the plant uptake fertilizer even in higher pH
conditions till the soil mellows. If you can get the soil prepared and into the
pot a while before you plant the plant, it will be better.

Way back when I ordered some from a nice man (Don Chapman?) who used
to participate here, I don't have it now though. My gardening book
(1929) says ......"they rely for their food upon microscopic
organisms attached to their roots, which appear to function only when
certain conditions are approximated. These are soil acidity and
proper aeration." Is the mychorriza the microorganisms my book is
referring to? Where can I purchase it now?

zhan

Old 23-01-2003, 05:18 PM
animaux

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:18:26 GMT, Tom Jaszewski

mycorrhizae

http://www.mycorrhizae.com/

Quick to correct, but slow on the thanks for anything I give to you in your
requests. Did you find your lemon grass?
Old 23-01-2003, 05:21 PM
animaux

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:32:59 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

Way back when I ordered some from a nice man (Don Chapman?) who used
to participate here, I don't have it now though. My gardening book
(1929) says ......"they rely for their food upon microscopic
organisms attached to their roots, which appear to function only when
certain conditions are approximated. These are soil acidity and
proper aeration." Is the mychorriza the microorganisms my book is
referring to? Where can I purchase it now?

zhan

I believe Don is still around, his website is:

http://www.bio-organics.com/

However, now you can buy it in just about any good garden center. Make sure it
is VAM mycorrhiza (spelled correctly without the e, and correct both ways).

VAM is a combination of fungi. And yes, that is what they were talking about in
1929, before they knew much about soil.
Old 23-01-2003, 06:42 PM
madgard

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Any Lowes or Home Depraived will
have Azaela food which should be just fine for blueberries. ...........leave
it to Brudder John to clarify things better...g yes, you're challanged
but at least you're willing to learn! they can take partial shade, as the
wild ones up in the woods near the mountains attest. About six hours is
considered good enough, but yes, they do prefer direct sun if given a
choice. There is an 800 number in the Miller catalog if I can find the
catalog you can call to inquire about a cross pollinator...........(I have
been throwing out the excess catalogs trying to lighten the load in case we
lose our house and have to move to Michigan, nothing's in stone or
determined yet, and lightening my load has been harder than I thought it
would be I was going to call you but with our current phone bill
exceeding the C note Squire makes a week at the school, I can't afford to
even ring you up. I am dependent on the computer for communication, for
now, until BellSouth pulls the plug on me after 32 years service~~
tightening up the belt is an understatement at the moment.G

I will holler if I find that catalog with the 800 number

maddie looking at 5 inches of snow, temperatures in a balmy 15 with wind
chills way below -12 (gusts of 18 mph) and still no frelling hellebore
blossoms! I bundled up, layered and even found the boots MIL bought me at
Meijer's one year and hunted for the dang things to cheer me
up..................all I found was allum leaves, Hellebore leaves, red
twigs on the dogwoods, (do I prune them this spring to make them grow more
branches?)and VINCA MAJOR LEAVES....ACRES AND ACRES OF VINCA LEAVES,
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GBSEG LOL
"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:19:29 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

.. .

Old 23-01-2003, 08:05 PM
zhanataya

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:18:26 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

mycorrhizae

Tom if it is close enough to be corrected it is close enough to get
the information communicated. Who made Webster the be all to end all
anyway. ;-)

zhan
Old 23-01-2003, 08:09 PM
zhanataya

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:21:21 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I believe Don is still around, his website is:

http://www.bio-organics.com/

However, now you can buy it in just about any good garden center. Make sure it
is VAM mycorrhiza (spelled correctly without the e, and correct both ways).

VAM is a combination of fungi. And yes, that is what they were talking about in
1929, before they knew much about soil.

thanks V, I''ll get some. I'll get the pots prepared now and hold off
on putting the plants in until later in the spring.

zhan

Old 23-01-2003, 08:14 PM
zhanataya

I've been rounding up information on apples and cross pollinators for
my brother. One of the things you must consider in pollinating apples
is the season of bloom. Wouldn't do much good to buy an early bloomer
and a late bloomer aand expect much cross pollination. Is this going
to be a concern for blueberries?

zhan

Old 23-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Pen

Mine is doing well with lots of sun. The best pollinators seem to be
bumblebees. To plant blue berries in my alkaline clay soil, I dug a
4' diametre hole about 2' deep and filled with peat moss. Don't plant
it in peat right away. Peat takes time to thoroughly moisten and will
settle over time. I've also top dressed with worm compost and
Starbuck's used coffee (ask any Starbucks if they'll give you their
garbage).

Old 23-01-2003, 10:29 PM
zhanataya

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:13:21 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

think bees, Zhan.............

I understand that. but still you need the cultivars to be in bloom at
the same time to do any cross pollination.