Old 15-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Registered User

Default Sunflower Questions

Ok, first of all, hello. I'm new here, and new to gardening (as of today!). I live in Sarnia Ontario, Canada (near Toronto). A link below shows where it is.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9610/17/mete...sudbury.lg.jpg

I was just wondering, what types of fruit will grow this time of year usually (please don't say I'm too late this year)?

Also, I don't know if sunflowers are considered edible gardening, but that's what I'll be using them for.

On the bag of the little package that the seeds came in, it says they should be sowed after last frost. My question is, would they be able to grow in pots, if I plant them outside, let them grow, then, come winter, put them in a pot?

Thank you.
Old 15-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fire
Ok, first of all, hello. I'm new here, and new to gardening (as of today!). I live in Sarnia Ontario, Canada (near Toronto). A link below shows where it is.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9610/17/mete...sudbury.lg.jpg

I was just wondering, what types of fruit will grow this time of year usually (please don't say I'm too late this year)?

Also, I don't know if sunflowers are considered edible gardening, but that's what I'll be using them for.

On the bag of the little package that the seeds came in, it says they should be sowed after last frost. My question is, would they be able to grow in pots, if I plant them outside, let them grow, then, come winter, put them in a pot?

Thank you.
Another thing. Would watermelons have enough time to grown now?

Thanks!
Old 15-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Pat

http://tinyurl.com/84pda

I was just wondering, what types of fruit will grow this time of year
usually (please don't say I'm too late this year)?

Also, I don't know if sunflowers are considered edible gardening, but
that's what I'll be using them for.

On the bag of the little package that the seeds came in, it says they
should be sowed after last frost. My question is, would they be able to
grow in pots, if I plant them outside, let them grow, then, come winter,
put them in a pot?

Thank you.

Another thing. Would watermelons have enough time to grown now?

Definitely not enough time left in Sarnia to get finished melons, or
sunflowers.

Old 15-07-2005, 06:27 AM
RR

Cricket_Fire wrote:

Cricket_Fire Wrote:
Ok, first of all, hello. I'm new here, and new to gardening (as of
today!). I live in Sarnia Ontario, Canada (near Toronto). A link below
shows where it is.

http://tinyurl.com/84pda

I was just wondering, what types of fruit will grow this time of year
usually (please don't say I'm too late this year)?

Also, I don't know if sunflowers are considered edible gardening, but
that's what I'll be using them for.

On the bag of the little package that the seeds came in, it says they
should be sowed after last frost. My question is, would they be able to
grow in pots, if I plant them outside, let them grow, then, come winter,
put them in a pot?

Thank you.

Another thing. Would watermelons have enough time to grown now?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Your text says you live in Sarnia, your link points to Sudbury.
With Sarnia at over 300 kilometers and Sudbury at over 400 kilometers,
neither one is what I would consider "close to Toronto".
In any event, there's really not enough time left this season for
watermelons or sunflowers in Sarnia and even less in Sudbury.
Be ready next year to plant some time around the last week of May.
'Till then, get some seed catalogues to browse during the long winter
nights.
Quick question: If you live in Ontario, why access Usenet through a UK
site?

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 15-07-2005, 03:54 PM
DigitalVinyl

RR wrote:

Cricket_Fire wrote:

Cricket_Fire Wrote:
[...]

I'd add to that, plan to start them indoors in pots. That's what
everybody does when you are growing a plant with a longer season than
you have. I grew dwarf sunflowres that were a foot tall in 4-5 inch
pots and I've started both watermelon and sunflowers in pots for
transplanting.

You'll probably want to see them 4-6 weeks before first frost. Then
harden/acclimate them to outside for a week or two. Plants grown
indoor can't withstand direct sunlight and outside winds, so you put
them in a sheltered spot so they strengthen up, then plant them in the
ground.

Quick question: If you live in Ontario, why access Usenet through a UK
site?

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph