Old 18-05-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Landrey

Default Tomato plants outgrowing cages

I have several caged indeterminate tomato plants growing in my garden. The
cages are all about 5 feet high and one of the plants has already managed to
grow past the top of its cage. I live in the Atlanta area and given that it's
only May, I can assume that I can expect the plants to grow much larger.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they
outgrow their cages?
Old 18-05-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kurtk

"Landrey" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I have several caged indeterminate tomato plants growing in my garden. The
cages are all about 5 feet high and one of the plants has already managed
grow past the top of its cage. I live in the Atlanta area and given that
it's
only May, I can assume that I can expect the plants to grow much larger.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they

outgrow their cages?

Stake them or just let it ride. I use concrete reinforcement material for my
cages and it overflows every year. It is almost to the point here in Houston
where the tomatoes will not set anymore so it is no a big issue.

Old 18-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ews.net,
Landrey wrote:

I have several caged indeterminate tomato plants growing in my garden. The
cages are all about 5 feet high and one of the plants has already managed to
grow past the top of its cage. I live in the Atlanta area and given that it's
only May, I can assume that I can expect the plants to grow much larger.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they
outgrow their cages?

I've had excellent luck tying them to 7' tall lengths of rebar pounded
into the ground. They are sunk in 12" to 18".
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 18-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Landrey

"kurtk" wrote in
. com:

Stake them or just let it ride. I use concrete reinforcement material
for my cages and it overflows every year. It is almost to the point here
in Houston where the tomatoes will not set anymore so it is no a big
issue.

So what happens to your plants after they outgrow your cages?

And why don't your tomatoes set anymore? Is it too hot?
Old 18-05-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kurtk

"Landrey" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"kurtk" wrote in
. com:

Stake them or just let it ride. I use concrete reinforcement material
for my cages and it overflows every year. It is almost to the point here
in Houston where the tomatoes will not set anymore so it is no a big
issue.

So what happens to your plants after they outgrow your cages?

And why don't your tomatoes set anymore? Is it too hot?

They continue to grow beyond the cages and spill over. Tomatoes will not set
unless the nighttime temperature is below 70 degrees F

Old 19-05-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

"Landrey" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I have several caged indeterminate tomato plants growing in my garden. The
cages are all about 5 feet high and one of the plants has already managed
grow past the top of its cage. I live in the Atlanta area and given that
it's
only May, I can assume that I can expect the plants to grow much larger.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they
outgrow their cages?

What I usually do is put in peripheral stakes around each plant and then tie
up the vines to these stakes.

This year, I'm trying the Ultomato
(http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/i...s_ultomato.jpg) to see if they
work better than my usual flimsy aluminum cages.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old 19-05-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Landrey" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I have several caged indeterminate tomato plants growing in my garden. The
cages are all about 5 feet high and one of the plants has already managed

grow past the top of its cage. I live in the Atlanta area and given that

it's
only May, I can assume that I can expect the plants to grow much larger.

Can anyone give me some advise as to what to do with these plants as they
outgrow their cages?

Lash together three 10' poles into a teepee and set it over the cages. Tie
the vine to the poles with fabric strips cut from old socks. I do it every
year in VA and it works quite well.

Old 19-05-2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

You'll just have to extend your cage somehow - I use trellis wire
strung up to my house roof, and tie them along it as they grow.

Old 19-05-2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

using old socks for a source of strips to tie tomato vines with is
brilliant! The vines are easy to crush or scrape with twine.

Old 19-05-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kimberly

"tenacity" wrote in message
oups.com...
| using old socks for a source of strips to tie tomato vines with is
| brilliant! The vines are easy to crush or scrape with twine.

Yes, use whatever you have at hand. I can't afford all that expensive
'tomato paraphenalia'. We start out with cages, some small, some bigger. I
use strips of old t-shirts, etc. and whatever metal bars we have collected
from various places. Including old water pipes. Then I call them "tomatoes
in bondage". They seem to like it.

Kimberly

Old 19-05-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

I use tomato cages for my cucumbers and sticks for my tomatoes (they are
really branches from poplar trees that I cut down). and just tie the
tomatoes a bit higher every time.

--
Lynn

reenews.net...

Old 19-05-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

LOL
XXX tomatoes.
--
Lynn

Old 20-05-2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kimberly

Well.... they are red.... and naked.

Kimberly

Old 20-05-2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"tenacity" wrote in message
oups.com...
using old socks for a source of strips to tie tomato vines with is
brilliant! The vines are easy to crush or scrape with twine.

Cut your old socks in half length-wise, then cut those strips in half
legth-wise again.

Walla! Four ties from one old sock!

--
TQ

Old 20-05-2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

"tomatoes in bondage"?!!

LMAO!

Safe, sane, and consentual baby. Yeee-haw!

Cracked me UP.

Yeah, by the time they poop out at the end of summer, mine look like a
giant spider on meth had camped out in my tomato patch, with ties of
twine going everywhere to hold 'em up.

Tomatoes outgrowing cages! [email protected] Edible Gardening 8 29-07-2005 10:39 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages Karen Texas 12 18-03-2003 02:56 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM
Tomato Cages Online? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 23 07-02-2003 06:52 PM