Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
0rion

Default need recommendations

i'm looking for a very hardy type of plant that doesn't need special
substrate or a lot of CO2 in the water. something that floats, preferably. a
floating plant would also do pretty well considering it would be right below
the light... i could get some simple fertilizer but my setup just isn't
catered to precision and high-maintenance at all (college apartment room, 15
gallon eclipse show tank. god i can't wait to move out and get a big fat 100
gallon with a huge school of harlequins ).

i'm not dead set on it and i wouldn't want to get one that would just die,
but if anyone has recommendations let me know. i've only heard of najas
guadalupensis as a good semi-hardy plant that does fine floating. also, the
tank has pretty active current and i'm not sure how good that would be for
any CO2 that might be in the water. TIA!

http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/najas.htm

Old 18-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Philippe Lemaire

Potamogeton Gayi

Old 19-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Dave Millman

0rion wrote:

i'm looking for a very hardy type of plant that doesn't need special
substrate or a lot of CO2 in the water. something that floats, preferably. a
floating plant would also do pretty well considering it would be right below
the light...

Water sprite / Ceratopteris sp.
Hornwort / Certophyllum demersum

Both are widely available, easy to grow floaters.

Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
0rion

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
0rion wrote:

i'm looking for a very hardy type of plant that doesn't need special
substrate or a lot of CO2 in the water. something that floats,

preferably. a
floating plant would also do pretty well considering it would be right

below
the light...

Water sprite / Ceratopteris sp.
Hornwort / Certophyllum demersum

Both are widely available, easy to grow floaters.

how about java moss on my driftwood?

how long would it take to cover the entire tank, and it is controllable?