Old 20-12-2005, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Bamboo as an aquarium plant?

While at the local PetSmart or PetCo (I can't remember the one that I
am always in, so much for brand marketing) I saw they have live bamboo
for aquariums. I knew it could be rooted in very wet gravel but I had
no idea it could be fully submerged. Can it? I also have the feeling
that they may be carrying it in stock because of the Christmas season
(I have never seen so many betta bowls in my life!). The stalks are
about 4 inches (roughly 10cm) long with one or two chutes with a few
leaves at the end of them. Will these grow fully submerged?

Old 20-12-2005, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote in message
oups.com...
While at the local PetSmart or PetCo (I can't remember the one that I
am always in, so much for brand marketing) I saw they have live bamboo
for aquariums. I knew it could be rooted in very wet gravel but I had
no idea it could be fully submerged. Can it? I also have the feeling
that they may be carrying it in stock because of the Christmas season
(I have never seen so many betta bowls in my life!). The stalks are
about 4 inches (roughly 10cm) long with one or two chutes with a few
leaves at the end of them. Will these grow fully submerged?

========================
Don't waste your money. These aren't aquarium plants.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 21-12-2005, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

no wonder they are so hard to find information on from aquarium
websites :-)

Old 21-12-2005, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote in message
oups.com...
no wonder they are so hard to find information on from aquarium
websites :-)

===================
Yes. Be very selective in what plants you buy. There are several
houseplants being sold as aquarium plants. All are doomed to soon rot in
your tank. To add insult to injury you can buy those same plants in any
store that carries houseplants for half the price.

Old 22-12-2005, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Thanks for all the info. I have fallen for that before (plants that
aren't meant for submersion). I knew I was being duped after I bought
my third christmas cactus and it rotted away ;-) But serisouly, thanks
especially to Koi-lo, I have seen your responses to many of my
questions/comments and found them helpful. AND your ponds are gorgeous!
Now not only do I want more room for aquariums, I want an acreage to
put a lake on!

Old 22-12-2005, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the info. I have fallen for that before (plants that
aren't meant for submersion). I knew I was being duped after I bought
my third christmas cactus and it rotted away ;-) But serisouly, thanks
especially to Koi-lo, I have seen your responses to many of my
questions/comments and found them helpful. AND your ponds are gorgeous!
Now not only do I want more room for aquariums, I want an acreage to
put a lake on!

===============================
Thanks. I love my ponds and wish I had room for another large one, but
alas,.... I can't put anything over the septic drain field and the rest is
underlined by rock. We have a little over an acre.

Old 14-01-2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
wrote:
While at the local PetSmart or PetCo (I can't remember the one that I
am always in, so much for brand marketing) I saw they have live bamboo
for aquariums. I knew it could be rooted in very wet gravel but I had
no idea it could be fully submerged. Can it? I also have the feeling
that they may be carrying it in stock because of the Christmas season
(I have never seen so many betta bowls in my life!). The stalks are
about 4 inches (roughly 10cm) long with one or two chutes with a few
leaves at the end of them. Will these grow fully submerged?

yes and no. It's "lucky bamboo" and it's luck runs out if held underwater.
The leaves must be in air. Now, you could have a foot of it in
the tank and as long as the leaves are exposed to air and light
it'll root fine and the underwater stem will stay green. And it'll
grow fairly quickly - it's bamboo.

I've got in a couple of tanks. Neat stuff.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net