Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
sew crazy

Default co2 generator

I would like some advice on good way to do a co2 filter mine is sometimes
messy ....
i use brewers yeast and loads of suger and water but sometimes it makes so
much foam that it pushes into the tank ...

Old 07-01-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

--

The AFM in the mail today says to use two containers. One rigged like
you have, a tube from that one to an empty container, then from that
Old 07-01-2006, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
sew crazy

brilliant
simple ... whould have never thought of it
Thanx!!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Larry

wrote:

I would like some advice on good way to do a co2 filter mine is sometimes
messy ....
i use brewers yeast and loads of suger and water but sometimes it makes so
much foam that it pushes into the tank ...

I use a 2L pop bottle but mine does not produce the same amount of
foam and stuff.

How much bubbling should be produced from the diy generators? Mine
produces a bubble every second or so. I never stopped to think that
maybe my diy kit wasn't as effective as it should be.

your thoughts,

(posted to freshwater misc. also)

Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill

Larry Spaketh Thusly:

your thoughts

There's a zillion posts on this if you google groups search this group, or
just google "DIY CO2". Go back as far as you want, the principles and
materials haven't changed.

Quick hits: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html (follow the
links) and
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html (good illustrations)

FWIW: I use large juice bottles instead of soda bottles, they are a bit
sturdier. I put my setup together in 30 mins for about $4 (both silicone and
stiff tubing) and haven't touched it except for refills & cleaning in over 3
years.
I use 2 juice bottles and alternate filling them each weekend, since they die
out after about 10 days using plain bread yeast from the supermarket.
A hot glue gun is great for sealing everything up if you have one of the large
very hot commercial type ones. The little craft ones don't seem to cut it.

My homemade reactor - plumbed to the output of my Magnum - cost less than $10,
but I went a bit fancy on that - it even has a cleanout plug :-) 2" PVC
tubing and joints, with cheapo plastic bioballs for turbulence. The CO2 input
it a plastic check valve solvent-welded into a hole drilled into the pipe - I
thought that was a weak spot but it's still holding up perfectly so I never
redid it.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net