Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Marlin

Default White deposit all over tank

What exactly is the white stuff covering? Is it on pieces of wood or on all
surfaces? Is the white stuff "fluffy" looking or more like a powder?

The reason I ask is that on newly introduced pieces of drift wood, it's not
uncommon for a white fungus to temporarily appear. The stuff is harmless
and usually goes away on its own after a week or so. If it is anything
else, I will have to let some other more knowledgeable answer that one.

Marlin

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Mark Trueman

ive got some white deposits in my tank on my valis. I used to have some
green hair algae on them, not a really virulent version, just a bit of fuzz
and the odd longer hair appearing every other day or so. I think this is in
the process of dying through my new co2/fertilisation and is turning white.

So maybe it is dying algae.

"alex crouvier" wrote in message
My 15-galloner has white deposits all over. There used to be brown algae
which my Ottos and SAEs never really cleaned up. I have removed my
busy-looking accomplished-nothing SAEs to my fast fish tank. I still have
higher hope with my Ottos. Now the brown algae has now become white...it
looks rather disturbing. I did a 30% water change, switch off the lights
earlier (6 hour daily), and wait how it develops int he following week.
However, the whitish stuff is still a concern...

I have 2 male Holland Rams
2 Neons
5 Aplocheilichtys (sp?) Normanis
1 Golden Wonder Panchax
2 Ottos
3 unidentified catfish/loaches (looks like Chinese loaches but
with common plleco markings)

Plants: Hygro difformis, anubias nana, corkscrew vals, hygro polysperma
"sunset",
crypto balanse, and unidentified stem plants

pH 7
kH 3
lights 4 watts/gallon
Nitrite 0.1g/mL

Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
alex crouvier

Looks just like brown algae, only white. They cover lower part of my front
and side glass and the whole of my back in random patches.

Also of note is part of ignorance regarding Epsom salt. I dose my 15-gallon
tank recently: 1 heaping teaspoon.
Not sure if that causes the initial brown algae appearance and almost
immediately replaced or become what I referred to as the "white covering."