Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Mike K

Default carpet plant suggestions

I'm setting up my first planted tank and am hoping to plant a large "lawn"
area. What have you guys had luck with? Something short, easy to care for
without constant pruning. Thanks!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Michi Henning

"Mike K" wrote in message
I'm setting up my first planted tank and am hoping to plant a large "lawn"
area. What have you guys had luck with? Something short, easy to care for
without constant pruning. Thanks!

Lileaeopsis and Eleocharis come to mind first. Lileaeopsis is probably
the better option if you are after low maintenance. It doesn't grow as
fast as Eleocharis and won't get as tall either.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
Triodia Technologies http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
kush

I like using lilaeopsis and it definitely meets the criteria of low
maintenance. Consider bounding it in some how, though, because when it gets
acclimated it will start to creep around where you don't want it.

A few months ago I was playing around with didiplis diandra (sp?), AKA
stargrass, and accidentally created a beautiful lawn effect. I had the
microsword in front, with a dark wood terrace behind, and then a lawn of
stargrass behind that. The microsword is about 3" and the stargrass is
about 6". The stargrass is a little more work, but nothing oppressive.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Glosso if you have high light and co2
Hairgrass does well for ma as well as
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Nsty N8

I'm setting up my first planted tank and am hoping to plant a large "lawn"
area. What have you guys had luck with? Something short, easy to care for
without constant pruning. Thanks!

Lilaeopsis is a decent plant. It did quite well in my low light tank, with only
2watts per gal. Maybe the sand substrate was one of the factors.
I'm using stargrass now (H zosterfolia), and javamoss tied to several flat
rocks.The stargrass will grow more horizontaly if you have intense lighting. My
stargrass only grew vertically when it was shaded (I was on vacation).
Email me for a jungle pic

N8