Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
David Lloyd

Default Lighting in 15G

My current aquarium (15 US gallons, 24"l x 12"w x 13"h) is about six
weeks old. It's fairly well planted with straight vallis, hygrophilla,
camboba, something that was sold to me under the name of "fountain
grass". Yesterday I added some java fern, cryptos (unspecified) and a
few "dwarf rush".

I'd really like to know whether the fountain grass and dwarf rush are
true aquatic plants (this is in Oxford, UK, if that helps in terms of
commonly used names). The shop assistant didn't seem to know, but
assured me that 95% of the plants in that section were true aquatics.
There were at least three plant varieties that I could identify as
being non-aquatics (two species of Dracaena, Hemigraphis). The foutain
grass has been in the tank since I set it up and looks to be in
generally good health. The dwarf rush is looking good but has only
been in there a day... I previously had a Hemigraphis that looked good
for about a week until it rotted.

The other issue I have is that I'd really like to increase the light
levels in there. I presently have 15W, but I feel that's not enough
for the plants I have in there. There is a bit of a brown algae
problem in there and, although I'm aware this is often a problem in
new tanks, it does not appear to be abating, so it could be down to
light levels. The assistant in the shop seemed to be shocked that I'd
want anything more than 15W in that size of tank. Bearing in mind the
depth of water is only 12", should I bother with more than 15W?
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

The other issue I have is that I'd really like to increase the light
levels in there. I presently have 15W, but I feel that's not enough
for the plants ....
.....Bearing in mind the
depth of water is only 12", should I bother with more than 15W?

For a 15 gallon tank, in order to grow plants well, I'd go with
atleast 30 Watts. Preferably 45 Watts. Also look into DIY CO2.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Dave

All glass makes a twin tube strip light that will give you 30 watts over a
15 gallon tank if you have a glass top over the tank.

et...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
David Lloyd

(David Lloyd) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Mentioned this in other post, plants now identified:

Fountain grass = Ophiopogon japonicus (not aquatic)
Dwarf rush = Acorus gramineus (the Krib says not aquatic, but I
understand it does grow in shallow water)

The other issue I have is that I'd really like to increase the light
levels in there. I presently have 15W, but I feel that's not enough
for the plants I have in there. There is a bit of a brown algae
problem in there and, although I'm aware this is often a problem in
new tanks, it does not appear to be abating, so it could be down to
light levels. The assistant in the shop seemed to be shocked that I'd
want anything more than 15W in that size of tank. Bearing in mind the
depth of water is only 12", should I bother with more than 15W?

Still would like opinions on light, particularly with reference to
possibilities of increased light intensity stressing fish: zebra
danios and clown plec; adding some corys at a later date.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

As long as you have a hiding place for the pleco, it should be fine.
Zebra danios and cories will be fine in higher light levels. A lot
of people including myself have much higher light levels in their
tanks with no problems with fish being stressed.
Infact my cories just started spawning in my 46G tank that has
110Watts.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Bruce

A much cheaper solution with a glass top is to just get a second single
light fixture. It makes it a pain at feeding time, but saves a few bucks.

Bruce.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
alex crouvier

I have 2 15-gallon tanks in my apt. I use 65-watt of fluorescent, DIY CO2 at
15ppm and you can see some of the faster-growing plants like Hygro Difformis
pearling. At ideal condition, you can see pearling underneath the leaves of
anubias nana and swords. This I have seen happened.

But you gotta control feeding frequency. You can easily get all sort of
algae of leaves and glass surfaces. Last I got was the nasty black brush
algae on my anubias. Now it's gone and I am not sure if that's the handiwork
of 3 SAEs I purchased a month ago or the reduction of CO2 & lighting. Now
it's my sword turn to get attacked by the black brush. I was wondering if
sailfin molly will eat those???

"Dave" wrote in message
All glass makes a twin tube strip light that will give you 30 watts over a
15 gallon tank if you have a glass top over the tank.

"Ghazanfar Ghori" wrote in message
et...
The other issue I have is that I'd really like to increase the light
levels in there. I presently have 15W, but I feel that's not enough
for the plants ....
.....Bearing in mind the
depth of water is only 12", should I bother with more than 15W?

For a 15 gallon tank, in order to grow plants well, I'd go with
atleast 30 Watts. Preferably 45 Watts. Also look into DIY CO2.

Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Old Ponders ... Full Spectrum Lighting D K Ponds 11 30-01-2003 10:39 PM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM