Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Jill Walker

Default keeping DIY CO2 going in winter

I have read about using a bucket and a heater to kept your co2 warm in a
cool house. Does anyone have any other experiences or any other solutions
for this problem?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

I don't think it's really necessary, as long as your house (and your tank)
is heated at all, although I haven't actually measured the difference in
bubble rate. I keep a bottle on top of each planted tank - which are
themselves at 74º - next to the lights which gives the added advantage of
slowing production down at night when the lights are out and the house is
cooled off. In my 75 gallon, I also keep two bottles under the tank in the
enclosed stand with the electrical equipment which is typically warmer than
the surrounding area.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Corncrake

Jill Walker wrote:
I have read about using a bucket and a heater to kept your co2 warm in a
cool house. Does anyone have any other experiences or any other solutions
for this problem?

I have remote ballasts for my fluorescent lights, they get quite warm,
I have a plate of aluminium (aluminum) on top of them ( to spread
the heat) and upon that I stand my bottles. result is that when the
lights are on the yeast is warm and producing and when the lights
are off the yeast is cool. QED!

Mind you, I only use the yeast method as a suplement,
my primary source is by pressure bottle.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
SLEngst

I have a house that gets pretty cool at night in the winter and my pH
fluctuated quite a bit in my tanks until I put the sugar/yeast bottles in
heated water. I use cheap plastic waste baskets and the cheapest heaters I can
get that are vaguely reliable. As the pH of my tap water is 8.4, I use pretty
warm water for the bottles to get the CO2 levels high enough to get my tanks
down to 7.5. Please note, if you do this, you'll need to top off the water in
the containers pretty often as it evaporates faster than the tank water will.
Hope this helps.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Djay

I keep my DIY CO2 on top of my hood. When the timer for the lights comes on
the remote ballasts on the back of the tank crank up and the tubes crank up
and the heat from the hood becomes quite noticeable. If you want to do
something similar, but keep the "unsightly DIY bottle" out of sight, you
could put a $10 heating pad under the tank stand, on the same circuit as the
light timer. That way when the light comes on, the heating pad comes on and
the bottle of CO2 heats up. Probably a little more expensive (electricity
wise) then the bucket of water with a 50W aquarium heater in the bucket, but
an alternative.

Djay