Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Cichlidiot

Default Getting green algae off acrylic?

Now that I have started moderate CO2 injection in my 40g rift lake tank,
most of the algae has died off except for some green algae and possibly
blue-green algae. The green spot algae clinging to the tank walls is the
most annoying. I have an acrylic tank and using those little white
scrubbing pads is not removing all the algae. I've got enough on the front
glass now to give the tank a fuzzy green look when looking through it (the
water is not green when viewed directly from above).

Now to the second most annoying algae, a patch of green fuzz (almost green
fungus looking) covering most of my shell bed (doesn't seem to cross over
to the coral sand side). This area is also where I feed the fish since the
coral sand side has a ton of rockwork and not much swimming space for the
feeding frenzy. I'm assuming this is blue-green algae which I know can be
killed/controlled with antibiotic treatments. Is there a brand of
antibiotics that people prefer?
Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Jamie D

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message

[...]

The dreaded blue green algae that can be controlled with antibiotics is like
a green slime, not fuzz like. Antibiotics won't help. Sounds more like brush
or hair algae.

Jamie
~

Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
FRBSTRD

well on the tank sides i find a credit card is among the best scrapers to
remove algae there the other prob no idea