Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
dpots

Default CO2 and Lighting

I was hoping to get some advice and opinions on these 2 subjects. I
am setting up a 60g tank which will house various anubias, vals,
crypts, and swords. I have been keeping these types of plants for
years in smaller tanks with ok results. I would like to step up and
try a CO2 system, better lighting, and better substrate. I was
recommended Fluorite as a substrate by several people and my LFS. Is
this really necessary or is regular gravel ok to use. I am trying to
decide on using a pressurized CO2 system versus the carbo plus unit.
I am leaning towards the pressurized system and would like some
recommendations on which one(s) would work best. Also, what type of
lighting would be recommended for these types of plants. I have
always used vitalites on my tanks with minimal results. These were
recommended by my LFS.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
redled

OK, I'm going to give you my advice, which is based on being as cheap as
possible (I have had very good success with this route). I don't know much
about pressurized CO2, and what system you should get, but I have only heard
bad things about carbo-plus: it is expensive to replenish the carbon block,
and may not produce enough CO2 for tanks like your or bigger. Again, though,
no experience here. For a substrate in a 55 gallon, I used profile clay soil
conditioner (find it at home depot) and laterite. It would cost about $20 to
$30 US to do your 60gal with 4" of substrate. I've had tremendous success
with it, but I can't compare it to flourite which I've never used. As for
lighting, your tank is the perfect size for 2 inexpensive shop light fixtures
with 2 four foot tubes each. Good luck!

In article ,
(dpots) wrote:
[...]

__
"Insert witty comment here."
-John
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
dpots

Thanks for the advice. I will look at my local home depot for the
profile clay soil conditioner and the light strips. Let you know
later how they worked.

dpots

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
redled

Just a tip: I couldn't find good fixtures at home depot, as they were all too
wide and I would only be able to fit 2 tubes over my tank. But, at walmart, I
found 2 tube fixtures for like $10 each that are only 6" wide.

In article ,
(dpots) wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will look at my local home depot for the
profile clay soil conditioner and the light strips. Let you know
later how they worked.

dpots

a...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Pressurized systems are the easies and will last the longest .
Depending on the size of tank will determine the size of co2 canister
you need. I can run a co2 canister 2.5 lbs four usually over 8 months
and the refil is only 12-15 bucks. If you can get a larger canister
under your tank do it that way cause it is only a few bucks more to
fill my 20 lbs tanks and they last years. I am currently having a
sale on a co2 gauge with solenoid AND reactor for $129.00 I doubt
you will find a better offer for both anywhere

Marcus
HTTP://www.Aquatic-store.com