Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

Default Aquasonic or Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitrate Test kit?

Hiya everyone again. I currently have an Aquasonic(Australian brand) NO3
Test kit(almost finished) which is a four part process. Liquid, tablet,
shake extremely vigoruosly for two minutes, wait 5 minutes, liquid, another
liquid wait three minutes. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals one seems to be a
single liquid addition. Any advice on which one is more accurate?

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
cindy

I use the AP nitrate kit. The instructions are (1) add 10 drops
bottle one (2) shake bottle 2 for 30 sec. (3) add 10 drops bottle 2
(4) shake 1 minute (5) wait 5 minutes.

I'm not crazy about all the shaking and waiting - is there a better
one out there?
Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
DDD

LaMotte is a great kit with cheap refills.
Multiple X4.4 to get ppm

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tasslehoff

I'm pretty sure it's easier to shake a liquid than it is to try to dissolve
a hard to dissolve tablet by trying to shake it to death withinin two
minutes. I almost end up with tennis wrist/elbow trying like superman to
get the dang tablet dissolved within two minutes, lol.

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Bruce Geist

You might like the SeaChem nitrite/nitrate kit. The test procedure is
simple: fill a plastic dish with two droppers full of tank water, add one
drop of reagent 1, then add a small spoon (small spoon measurer supplied) of
reagent two powder. Stir the reagent two powder for literally 1 or 2
seconds, and wait 5 - 8 minutes for the color to develop. The test gives
good clear results. The test is sensitive down to below 1 ppm nitrate.
Another nice thing about this test, is that you can wait 5 minutes before
adding reagent 2 (the powder) to see if any color develops from the first
reagent alone. The same color chart (with a different scale) determines
nitrites. After nitrites are determined, then you can proceed with the
nitrate test by adding the second reagent. Alternatively, you can just test
for nitrates and not wait for nitrite results (which is what I usually do if
I am not concerned about whether biological filtration is working well).

One caveat, I have noticed that the test is not accurate just after I add
de-chlorinator. I wonder if others have noticed this with the SeaChem or
other nitrate test kit.

I have also heard good things about the Red Sea nitrate kit, though I have
not tried it myself. -Bruce Geist

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message
u...
I'm pretty sure it's easier to shake a liquid than it is to try to

dissolve
a hard to dissolve tablet by trying to shake it to death withinin two
minutes. I almost end up with tennis wrist/elbow trying like superman to
get the dang tablet dissolved within two minutes, lol.

om...