Old 20-04-2003, 06:17 AM
LM

Default fluorite?

HI all,

another newbie question..

I keep reading references to fluorite substrates for plants. I've read
through the FAQ and couldn't find the benefits.

can a kind soul care to educate a newbie on this obviously common knowledge
item? Right know I have pea-sized gravel, but I probably need to add a bit
more substrate material to increase the thickness.. so might as well add
something that is more beneficial.

thanks for any info.

linda
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Sam Hopkins

I had to rebuild my tank and instead of using laterite I choose to use
flourite. For the first 2 months I hated it and wanted to throw it away. It
is very messy because it's a clay and there is like 9 pounds of dust per 10
pounds of flourite. Well ok, maybe not that bad but.. This dust would
destroy the water clarity everytime a fish got spooked or any bottom feeders
whirled over the bottom looking for food.

Anyways, after vaccuming it with your standard water change tube for a few
weeks I finally got all of the dust out of the substrate. And now it doesnt
mess anything up and I love it.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Doug David

We set up a 46 gallon bow front and went with fluorite base with gravel on
top. This was because we want to grow live plants and our local fish
supplier recommended the fluorite. It took about 3 weeks for the water to
clear up, but when it did it was crystal clear.

We just added some live plants for the first time last night. I'm hoping
they will take off and do well in the fluorite.

.. .