Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Robert

Default Lighting and glass covers question

Group:
Has anyone found the results of studies on the effects of glass covers on
the lighting intensity levels (amount of loss) and which particular wave
lengths are most affected?

I'm using 1/4" plate on my 120 to retard evaporation and also to keep the
discus from wetting down the floor at feeding time. I could live with the
water additions and wiping if my light quality/quantity is being
significantly affected. The CF's have their own shielding so they'd remain
protected from the moisture. Any factual information out there on this?
Are there differences in types and/or thicknesses of glass?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Mentaloid

Well - consider this. Glass light transmission is 72% vrs acrylic at 91% -
so if you need that cover on there, you can re-place it with some good
acrylic and still have a cover on the tank. With a typical tank setup that
uses 2 sliding glass panels for the cover (some are 2 peices hinged) there
is a strip of double pane glass that will reduce the effectivness of your
lights - say 1 glass pane will drop your lights down to 72%, and then a
second peice will drop that by another 29% to ~50% of the original light -
seems like a lot I know - but this is what all the experts tell me. Acrylic
will help a lot, but if you can get away with nothing - theres a lot of
additional light. I ended up using a peice of acrylic cut to shap so it only
covered the front half of my tank, and the lights have nothing below them.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave

In , "Mentaloid"
empowered us with this mighty blow against the
Patriarchy:

Well - consider this. Glass light transmission is 72% vrs acrylic at
91% - so if you need that cover on there, you can re-place it with
some good acrylic and still have a cover on the tank.

Does anyone know whether acrylic tank covers for glass tanks are
commercially sold? I could hack one out myself, but just curious.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Paulio629

Does anyone know whether acrylic tank covers for glass tanks are
commercially sold? I could hack one out myself, but just curious.

A glass shop shouldnt charge more than a couple bucks to cut em for you. Be
sure to use Lexan or = because most acrylic will warp when exposed to water on
one side and not properly braced.
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Bruce Geist

72% is higher than I would have guessed.

I use glass plates over my tank; are there certain colors of lighting that
are absorbed more than others? For example, water tends to selectively
absorb red light more quickly than blue light. I wonder if glass behaves
similarly. Do you have any reference articles on this topic?

-Bruce Geist

. ..