Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
X-Addict

Default Tank heater on a timer w/ lights?

Does anyone run their heater on a timer with the lights
such that it isn't able to run during the evening when
the lights are off? I've got a slightly older heater
that just refuses to keep the water below 80 degrees F
regardless of my setting. I'd rather have the water at
or about 75 degrees F. In lieu of throwing it away,
I thought I might be able to get away with doing this
instead.

I'm on the west coast (LA area) and it doesn't get very
cold at night (mid 60's).. This way also might better
simulate a more natural environment such as what the sun
does.

Any comments are appreciated!

X-addict
Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Haha, "most people" If I leave my tank for a day without heating in the
winter...it would hit about 62-65. All depends where you live and how cold
you keep your house

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
news
Many people do not use a heater at all in planted tanks. Consider that
before you use a heater that is a bit flaky. I bet your ambient
temperature
is above 72 most days-- it is LA after all right? (I live in Michigan.

Its
truly lovely this time of year up here, NOT.)

I have cooked fish before because of a stuck thermostat. This probably
won't happen to you if your heater is small relative to your tank.

However,
if you have more than a 1/2 watt per gallon, I'd not use the thing if its
thermostat is sticky.

-Bruce Geist
ink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave Millman

X-Addict wrote:

Does anyone run their heater on a timer with the lights
such that it isn't able to run during the evening when
the lights are off? I've got a slightly older heater
that just refuses to keep the water below 80 degrees F
regardless of my setting.

Dude,

What you are asking is akin to the plot of the movie Speed. You are
courting disaster. Buy a new heater, or enjoy an unheated tank. There is
no safe middle ground for you.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Gene Heitman

I recommend that you get a new heater immediately. Do not use your heater
on a timer. There are several reasons including the fact that wide
variations in temperature puts a great deal of stress on your fish. My own
recommendation is to get the Tronic heaters from Hagen. I like them because
they are fully submersible, can be set to the specific temperature that you
want, turn off automatically if the temperature rises too high (like when
the water level drops too low to cover the heater) and have guards available
to protect the fish from burns and the heaters from breaking. I have them
in four aquariums right now.

--
Gene Heitman
Champaign, Illinois

ink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Philip Ash

I agree, Tronics have been my most reliable, and consistent heater by far.
I also like the guard design.

Phil.

"Gene Heitman" wrote in message
[...]

ink.net...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Paul Disdle

Both my tronics lasted a year then the seals went and got wet inside and
failed. I'm now trying rena which appear to be more accurate.

Paul

---

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Dave Millman

Paul Disdle wrote:

Both my tronics lasted a year then the seals went and got wet inside and
failed. I'm now trying rena which appear to be more accurate.

I have had two tronics for 15 months. 30 days ago. They worked fine at the
surface. 30 days ago I decided they had passed the first test and were ready
for submersion testing. One now has condensation inside.

In the trash they go. Ebo Jager to the rescue.