Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
KBK00

Default Help with first planted tank!

This will probably be a long post so I am sorry in advance. There are a
few things I would like help with before I start my first planted tank. I
have a nonplanted tank that i set up about 2 years ago. Here's the quick
stats on the future planted (test) tank:

10 Gal
2x 10W Mini-Compact fluor. (6500k)
Fluval 1 plus Underwater filter
Flourite substrate @ 2 in (will purchase in day or two)
Will have some small fish (danios, probably) just for kicks

Here are my (tap) water stats:
ph: 8.6 - 8.7
dkh: 19
fe: 0

Now, the questions that I have start with my tap water. I am in
Milwaukee WI and have well water. The ph and dkh seem really high. I don't
think the dkh will limit my choices in plants too much but from my research,
there are very few plants that can stand that high of ph (used plant search
engine). Is this correct? In an ideal world I would like to just live with
my tap water and not really add anything to it to make adjustments. The
fewer chemicals I put into it the better.
I have been reading about the DIY co2 stuff and it seems really cool. I
bought all the stuff for it but haven't put it together yet. I've read that
it will drop my ph if I use it. Is this correct? Would it drop much even
with my high dkh? Should I bother with it? I am still confused with the
co2 vs high dkh relationship.
My second issue is with the hardware that I have chosen. Will this be
suitable for my needs? I would really like to have a nice small tank with a
thriving collection of nice plants. I don't necessarily need to have
bubbles forming on the leaves and having to cut it back daily (but it would
be nice . Does what I have fill that requirement? If everything works in
the small tank, I will be reproducing it in the nonplanted tank (55 gal).

I know there are probably 40 questions buried within this post and I am
sorry. I have read a lot of stuff over the last week including this group's
FAQ and I still have these questions (I know what RTFF means). If someone
would be able to answer one or two I would be thankful.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave

"KBK00" empowered us with this mighty blow
against the Patriarchy:

I have been reading about the DIY co2 stuff and it seems really
cool. I
bought all the stuff for it but haven't put it together yet. I've
read that it will drop my ph if I use it. Is this correct?
Would it
drop much even with my high dkh? Should I bother with it? I am still
confused with the co2 vs high dkh relationship.

All your questions shall be answered, grasshopper:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm