Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Petebert

Default Plants and pH down

I got one of those pH down bottles, trying to lower the pH in my new
55gallon tank to 6.5, been a pain, the bottle says if you have fish in the
tank not to lower more then .2 per 24 hours, anyone know if its the same for
plants? Im leaning towards yes seeing how theyre alive and all.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Aqua

I got one of those pH down bottles, trying to lower the pH in my new
55gallon tank to 6.5, been a pain, the bottle says if you have fish in the
tank not to lower more then .2 per 24 hours, anyone know if its the same

for
plants? Im leaning towards yes seeing how theyre alive and all.

Why do you want to lower your pH?
DO NOT use any of those chemical on your tank.

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Petebert

because its high, i dont remember what it was with the high test, i think
7.8-8, i know its too high for the normal test

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Rich

Use a PH buffer rather than a heavy alkaline / acid to change the PH. The
buffer is more gentle and depending on the source...a natural product that
appears in nature that balances those environs...Always go for the most
organic solution and chemicals as a last resource.
6.5 is pretty low for most tanks...
You might want to research your fish and determine the need before making
major changes (although you need to do something with that high of a PH -
unless or course you have fish that naturally live at that level...so
actually do. and higher)
Most community tanks do well at 7.0 (neutral).
Plants are also a great way to stabalize all the elements of your tank(s).

Cheers

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jody

"LeighMo" wrote in message
They're more trouble than they're worth.

Especially if they contain phosphate buffers. It's an algae bloom waiting
to happen. I speak from experience.

Jody

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Petebert" wrote:

I got one of those pH down bottles, trying to lower the pH in my new
55gallon tank to 6.5, been a pain, the bottle says if you have fish in the
tank not to lower more then .2 per 24 hours, anyone know if its the same for
plants? Im leaning towards yes seeing how theyre alive and all.

You might consider trying peat moss (or granules of same) in a bag in
your filter. I was dubious of this myself, but several people I
respect here suggested it, so I gave it a shot.

It reduced my pH from 8.2 to 7.8 in just a few days. Not bad for an
all-natural approach.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM

Adding CO2 to lower the pH is about the only reasonable method if the
plants are the item of concern.

Most/many true aquatic plants come from hardwater regions. But the
areas have good CO2 levels.

Plants want CO2, not buffer.

If you want to adjust the hardness/pH, use CO2 gas only to do this.
Some folks with soft water need to add baking soda or GH increasers up
to about 3 degrees but that's about all the plants need.
Most fish are fine as most sold at the LFS's in your area also use tap
water themselves..................

Regards,
Tom Barr