Old 25-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Scott Rogahn

Default CO2 into a canister filter

I have read several post were people add the CO2 into the intake of the
canister filter instead of using a diffuser. I have just added an Eheim
2215 with a surface extractor. Would adding the CO2 to the intake have any
real advantage over the Hagen diffuser I am presently using. It is the
diffuser sold with the natural CO2 system, but I am using it with a 5lb
bottle.

What is the best way to do this? Should I drill a hole in the intake and
route the hose it there? If I did this I think it would be difficult to
see/count the bubbles.

If I anchored the hose below the intake I could count the bubbles, but they
may not reliably get sucked into the filter.

Any advice is appreciated.
Scott

Old 25-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Rick

"Scott Rogahn" wrote in message
I have read several post were people add the CO2 into the intake of the
canister filter instead of using a diffuser. I have just added an Eheim
2215 with a surface extractor. Would adding the CO2 to the intake have

any
real advantage over the Hagen diffuser I am presently using. It is the
diffuser sold with the natural CO2 system, but I am using it with a 5lb
bottle.

What is the best way to do this? Should I drill a hole in the intake and
route the hose it there? If I did this I think it would be difficult to
see/count the bubbles.

If I anchored the hose below the intake I could count the bubbles, but

they
may not reliably get sucked into the filter.

Any advice is appreciated.
Scott

I had my CO2 line hooked up to a micro bubbler and then placed under my
sponge prefilter on the intake of my Fluval 404. Did not work very well as
those CO2 bubbles seemed to gather under the sponge and then burst upwards
in a large bubble or two. I took the sponge prefilter off the intake and put
the CO2 line directly into the strainer and it seems to work very well other
than a constant pfft pfft pfft sound now coming from the Flival which no
doubt is the CO2 gas being expelled by the impeller. Works good, after the
CO2 has made it's way through all the internal sponges, ceramic rings, bio
max etc it is totally dissolved.

Rick

Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 PM
nikolay_kraltchev

"Rick" wrote in message ...
"Scott Rogahn" wrote in message
I have read several post were people add the CO2 into the intake of the
canister filter instead of using a diffuser. I have just added an Eheim
2215 with a surface extractor. Would adding the CO2 to the intake have

any
real advantage over the Hagen diffuser I am presently using. It is the
diffuser sold with the natural CO2 system, but I am using it with a 5lb
bottle.

What is the best way to do this? Should I drill a hole in the intake and
route the hose it there? If I did this I think it would be difficult to
see/count the bubbles.

If I anchored the hose below the intake I could count the bubbles, but

they
may not reliably get sucked into the filter.

Any advice is appreciated.
Scott

Take the CO2 tubing and squeeze it between the plastic bars of the
canister filter intake strainer. Make sure the tubing runs on the
back side of the intake tube so no extra tubing will be visible. You
will still be able to count the bubbles by looking at them coming up
inside the strainer.
No need for a reactor at all.

Some filters may collect the CO2 inside the canister. I hear some
Eheims are prone to that.
The bubbles should completely disolve before hitting the impeller of
that canister anyway.

CO2 canister max temperature Nikki Casali Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 04-08-2005 01:20 PM
Hagen Natural Plant System odor: / was CO-2 injection into a canister filter. Squid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 15-05-2004 05:09 PM
CO-2 injection into a canister filter. Triffid Farmer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-05-2004 04:12 PM
cleaning canister filter Barry Ponds 6 11-09-2003 02:39 AM
Best canister and CO2 diffuser? B. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 25-08-2003 07:44 PM