Old 26-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Shrimp growing algae

Please look at this picture of my singapore shrimp:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/shrimp.jpg
All three of my shrimp seem to be growing algae!!! Is that normal? Should
I worry?

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 26-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Robert Flory

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
Please look at this picture of my singapore shrimp:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/shrimp.jpg
All three of my shrimp seem to be growing algae!!! Is that normal? Should
I worry?

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

;-) don't know but I recall some crabs plant algae on their backs to blend
in with the background

Bob

Old 26-04-2003, 01:44 PM
LeighMo

All three of my shrimp seem to be growing algae!!! Is that normal? Should

IME, no. You have an algee problem. Algae will grow on anything: plants,
rocks, gravel, snail shells...and shrimp carapaces.

Should
I worry?

Probably not. When the shrimp molts, it will get rid of the algae with the old
exoskeleton.

However, you might want to take steps to reduce the amount of algae in your
tank. It's a sign that something's out of balance.

Leigh

Old 28-04-2003, 02:56 AM
pinoglo

"LeighMo" wrote in message
All three of my shrimp seem to be growing algae!!! Is that normal? Should

IME, no. You have an algee problem. Algae will grow on anything: plants,
rocks, gravel, snail shells...and shrimp carapaces.

Should
I worry?

Probably not. When the shrimp molts, it will get rid of the algae with

the old
exoskeleton.

So, the old exoskeleton will do what? will eat the algae?

Old 28-04-2003, 03:44 AM
WD

"pinoglo" wrote in message

exoskeleton.

So, the old exoskeleton will do what? will eat the algae?

LOL, no. Shrimp, like crabs and lobsters, molt from time to time. That is,
they completely shed their exoskeleton(skin), leaving a fresh one
underneath. Humans are continually losing skin as well, but it's a
continuous process. Exoskeleton creatures do it all at one time. When the
shrimp sheds his old exoskeleton, the algae that is attached to it will,
naturally, go with it.

hth

billy

Old 28-04-2003, 05:32 AM
JEB

pinoglo wrote:
"LeighMo" wrote in message

All three of my shrimp seem to be growing algae!!! Is that normal? Should

IME, no. You have an algee problem. Algae will grow on anything: plants,
rocks, gravel, snail shells...and shrimp carapaces.

Should
I worry?

Probably not. When the shrimp molts, it will get rid of the algae with

the old

exoskeleton.

So, the old exoskeleton will do what? will eat the algae?

The shrimp will be rid of the algae since the algae is attached to the
old exoskeleton. At which point the exoskeleton can be fished out, and
the whole tank will be rid of the algae attached to the exoskeleton.

James

Old 28-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

LeighMo wrote:
However, you might want to take steps to reduce the amount of algae in your
tank. It's a sign that something's out of balance.

A little algae is a good thing, IMO. I don't think I have an algae problem,
since most surfaces are free of it.
The filamentous algae seem to grow only near the spray bar, where the current
is the strongest. And that's where the shrimp spend the day, feeding.