Old 17-02-2003, 04:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default brownish dusting on plants?

I've been noticing an accumulation of brownish dust on most of the older
plant leaves in my aquarium. I have a good water circulation with my
aquaclear filter. However, I was thinking that it might be residue coming
from ammonia remover insert in my aquaclear filter that's been in there for
quite a few months already. I had put the insert in the tray when I started
the aquarium up a few months ago.

I took out the insert the other day and it was pretty clogged with brownish
dirty stuff...(the insert contains brownish "gravel").

What do you think? Could it be the stuff from this insert that seems to coat
the plant leaves? I can easily rub the dirt off with my fingers. Would I
still need to use the ammonia remover insert now?---I was thinking now that
the aquarium is established I could do without it.

Any help would be appreciated! THANX
Dave.

Old 17-02-2003, 04:50 AM
WD

I was thinking now that
the aquarium is established I could do without it.

Yes. Once the tank is established and cycling properly, there is no need for
such 'removers', and actually, those 'removers' may interfere with the
creation of the biological filter.

Old 18-02-2003, 02:02 AM
Cannibul

Sounds like Diatom algae. Ottos will take care of it.