Old 26-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Dustin

Default algae eaters

My 125 heavily planted clean up crew consists of:

10 SAES
4 Albino Bristle Nose Plecos
1 Generic *black* pleco
Estimated 75 Ghost Shrimp *i put in 100 some died*
4 Cory Cats
5 Platys *which have already bread and produced more*

I havent fed the tank in weeks, everything eats algae, which is kinda sad
when you realize i always have algae for them to eat... but i bought ppmd
ill be working on that.

The ghost shrimp really helped, and at .14 each in bulk from the fs - cant
beat it.

"Christopher" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I currently have 3 CAE, 4 SAE, and a pleco in my 125g, there is still a
problem with algae, I'm thinking about getting a couple more SAE's so

maybe
they will school, but I heard there was an "ocil...." something that was
like a small pleco, but can clean leaves better and not harm them...can
anyone fill me in with info on this critter as well as the different types
(if there are) and the sizes they get.....I currently have 1.5" SAE's in

my
tank of cichlids with no problem, the cichlids pretty much mind their own
business....

Old 26-02-2003, 10:19 PM
LeighMo

How about Ottos and Corys, are hey compatible?

Yes. They tend to swim in different parts of the tank, so they don't crowd
each other or anything.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 10:22 PM
LeighMo

does this mean that otos are content with the amount of food it's getting
off the algae growth?

IME, otos are a bit shy. They won't fight other fish for food. Instead, I put
in things like lettuce leaves, zucchini slices, apple slices, etc. Stuff you
can leave in the tank for awhile without making a mess. When the other fish
get tired of them, the otos take their turn.

You can tell if otos are getting enough to eat, just by looking at them. If
they're eating, they'll have round, full bellies. If they aren't, they'll look
skinny.

Leigh

Old 28-02-2003, 02:09 AM
LeighMo

I thought ghost shrimps are not very good algae eaters

They don't eat as much algae as Amano shrimp, but they do eat algae.
Especially hair/thread algae. They are especially good at getting at
filamentous algae growing deep in a mat of Lilaeopsis and the like.

Leigh

Old 28-02-2003, 02:16 AM
redled

"Christopher" wrote in
hlink.net:

will the ottos eat the really rough green algae that I get on my plant
leaves and glass?
also whats the max size of the ottos and is there mroe than one type
(like with plecos)

Probably not right away. They really prefer new growth algae. So, clean
the old stuff off the glass as best you can when you put the ottos in and
they will probably keep the glass clean.

Old 28-02-2003, 03:06 AM
Dustin

I never said that - did I "Mark" ? They seem to eat up all the fish poop
off the gravel, and keep the algae in check better....

Is it just mine?

Thanks

Dustin

. ca...