Old 18-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Skootergrrl

Default Bulbs

I did a Google search for your archives on the this topic so I wouldn't beat
your dead horse, but couldn't find what I was looking for.....

I have a 44gal but it's about 24" deep. I have two 18" bulbs. I need new
ones. I want to grow plants - and lot's of them. I know that's really deep
for most plants to get sufficient light.

Which bulbs do you recommend? I don't want to blow the bank on the this,
but I want something decent.

I know I also need to take care of CO2 and nutrients. I'll tackle those
issues soon.

Thanks in advance.

Skootergrrl.

Old 19-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Rex Grigg

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:41:15 -0400, "Skootergrrl"
wrote:

The only way you will be able to grow plants with your tank in the
manner you would like too is to replace the lights. Not the bulbs,
but the lights. I suggest you head over to www.ahsupply.com and see
what they have that will fit your setup. You want to hit a minimum of
2 watts per gallon. With your current light you have less than one
watt per gallon. Your tank should be about 36" wide so your best bet
would be a 96 watt PC kit.

I did a Google search for your archives on the this topic so I wouldn't beat
your dead horse, but couldn't find what I was looking for.....

I have a 44gal but it's about 24" deep. I have two 18" bulbs. I need new
ones. I want to grow plants - and lot's of them. I know that's really deep
for most plants to get sufficient light.

Which bulbs do you recommend? I don't want to blow the bank on the this,
but I want something decent.

I know I also need to take care of CO2 and nutrients. I'll tackle those
issues soon.

Thanks in advance.

Skootergrrl.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 19-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Skootergrrl

There are 2 light bays on top. They are 18" long. This is all I have to
work with. I know that's not ideal, but it's a pentegon. Given all that,
what are the best "possible" bulbs I can get without spending a small
fortune.

Thanks.
Skootergrrl

Old 20-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Rex Grigg

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:10:50 -0400, "Skootergrrl"
wrote:

I will type slower this time. If you stick with the stock lighting
then you are going to be VERY limited in your plant selection. At
most you might be able to grow a Java Fern. The stock lights are just
enough to let you look at fish. They are very dim for growing plants.
They are designed this way to avoid causing algae. If you want to
grow lots of plants you are going to need to upgrade the lighting.
It's a basic fact of Physics that an 18" florescent bulb can only give
a certain amount of light. And even with two bulbs it's not enough
light on a 44 gallon hex to grow plants. It doesn't make a bit of
difference what bulbs you put in the fixtures. And with the limited
amount of space you have on top of a hex I would suggest that you
might want to invest in either plastic plants or sell the hex and get
a regular tank.

There are 2 light bays on top. They are 18" long. This is all I have to
work with. I know that's not ideal, but it's a pentegon. Given all that,
what are the best "possible" bulbs I can get without spending a small
fortune.

Thanks.
Skootergrrl

.. .

Old 20-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Skootergrrl

Ok, Plan B:

I'm going to get a glass top. I've been looking at the All-Glass Aquarium's
"55 watt Florescent Strip Lite" 24". I can't fit two of these up on top, so
I guess I'd use it along with one of my original fixtures.

I'm still exploring my options and that's the best I've found so far. Any
other suggestions?

What do you folks make of this?

Thanks again.

Skootergrrl

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 21-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Ron Nelson

One thing that I would think might work would be a Metal Halide Pendant but
that wouldn't be cheap. As for the eBay light it looks to me like its a 65
watt compact fluorescent with a reflector. When they say it's equivalent to
500 watts I think they talking about normal bulbs not fluorescents. Anybody
used one of these to say for sure? 500 watts of fluorescent light is a lot
of light. I've got 260 watts of power compacts and even that is darn
bright...

Ron

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 21-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Rex Grigg

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:50:36 -0400, "Skootergrrl"
wrote:

It's a scam. The light they are selling for $40 can be purchased at
most Wal-Mart stores for around $20. It's really a 65 watt CF work
light. There was a large discussion of this light on the AquaBotanic
forums and some of our members tested them and found over a 50 failure
rate in less than three months.

Ok, Plan B:

I'm going to get a glass top. I've been looking at the All-Glass Aquarium's
"55 watt Florescent Strip Lite" 24". I can't fit two of these up on top, so
I guess I'd use it along with one of my original fixtures.

I'm still exploring my options and that's the best I've found so far. Any
other suggestions?

What do you folks make of this?

Thanks again.

Skootergrrl

.. .
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 21-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Skootergrrl

I looked at the Pendants but they are way over my budget. But I appreciate
the idea. All others are welcome. I checked out AHsupply.com and seems
that it would cost more to buy all the parts than to just buy the "Strip
Lite" setup.

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 21-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Rex Grigg

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:56:22 -0400, "Skootergrrl"
wrote:

I looked at the Pendants but they are way over my budget. But I appreciate
the idea. All others are welcome. I checked out AHsupply.com and seems
that it would cost more to buy all the parts than to just buy the "Strip
Lite" setup.

But the AH Supply kits will give you more usable light than the
All-Glass strip. Much better reflectors in the AH Supply kits.

Old 22-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:18:29 -0600, "Ron Nelson"
wrote:

One thing that I would think might work would be a Metal Halide Pendant but
that wouldn't be cheap. As for the eBay light it looks to me like its a 65
watt compact fluorescent with a reflector. When they say it's equivalent to
500 watts I think they talking about normal bulbs not fluorescents. Anybody
used one of these to say for sure? 500 watts of fluorescent light is a lot

It's not 500 watts of fluorescent. It's a compact-fluorescent, 65
watts.

Here's the manufacturer of a VERY similar fixtu
http://www.lightsofamerica.com/products/worklights.htm

Light of America #6065 or #6165. Commonly available very cheap at
Costco, Home Depot, KMart, Walmart, etc.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

bulbs lois Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Ponds (alternative) 1 30-01-2003 05:21 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:55 PM