Old 13-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Sharp Tooth

Default Nymphea Lotus Zenkeri - Question

I have had a Nymphea Lotus for about three months now and it has done
very well in an 18" deep, 33 gallon tank, with plain black gravel, an
under-gravel filter, two Nutrafin CO2 diffusers and one 25 watt Aqua
Glow florescent tube. It also gets some diffuse sunlight through a
curtained window.

The leaf growth has been steady and all of the leaves have a beautiful
mottled red and green colouration. There is now a thick cluster of
submerged leaves about 9 inches tall.

The reason that I am writing is that there is a singular stalk with a
leaf on it that has shot towards the surface over the last three or
four days and the leaf is now just about to reach the surface.

Out of concern for my relatively low light level, I have trimmed any
Torta Vals that reached the surface on a weekly basis. I am now also
concerned that the Lotus surface leaf will block the light to the
lower leaves. I have a canopy on the tank so I have little interest in
leaves floating on the surface from an esthetic perspective.

Will trimming the shoot that is heading to the surface encourage the
growth of more submerged leaves? Should I cut the shoot at where it
comes out of the gravel or higher up?

Any information on maintaining this plant would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sharp Tooth

Old 13-08-2003, 08:12 PM
sexandcheerios

It MAY encourage new submerged leaves but then again if it's trying to reach
the surface it more than likely will keep trying to do so. If you're gonna
remove it do so at the lowest point possible. If you cut it higher up, the
remaining stalk will start to decay and could possibly introduce some sort
of infection into the plant as the old stalk rots. Plus, the stalk sticking
up will detract from the look of the rest of the plant. Be sure to use a
sharp knife or scissors so you get a clean cut and don't bruise the stalk
and leave a weak spot for disease to enter.

in article , Sharp Tooth at

Old 13-08-2003, 10:32 PM
LeighMo

Cut it off. Before it reaches the surface, preferably.

Zenkeri will completely shade your tank if you give it half a chance. Cutting
the leaves off before they reach the surface will encourage the plant to put
out submersed leaves. Once it "knows" it can reach the surface, it will
produce only surface leaves. It is possible to re-train the plant to produce
submersed leaves again, but it's better to never let it reach the surface to
begin with.

Leigh

Old 14-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Sharp Tooth