Old 04-09-2003, 05:02 PM
LHarvey761

Default Lighting Question

Hello!

I have a few questions concerning lighting. I have an established 38 gallon
tank with a couple of angels, and few different variety tetras in it.
Currently, I have a twin tube strip light (about 50 watts) set on a versatop.
I've got a few plants in there... java fern, java moss, anacharis, etc... and
have done fairly well with them. I'm also using an undergravel filter and a
Pengium 330 which I know is not optimum for a planted tank but so far, it's not
caused any major problems.

My question is... I'm wanting to add better lighting so I can add some other
plants and wanted to know what you all would recommend. I've been looking at
the AHSupply site and thought about getting the 2X36 watt kit and building an
enclosure for them. That would be 72 watts... is this enough? I don't want
to go overboard because I don't really want to get into adding CO2 right now.
I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have!

Thanks,
Leigh Ann
Leigh Ann
Old 06-09-2003, 12:03 AM
LeighMo

That would be 72 watts... is this enough? I don't want
to go overboard because I don't really want to get into adding CO2 right now.

I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have!

72 watts is not too much for a 38 gallon tank. It's less than two watts per
gallon. It's probably a good level to start with, if you don't want to inject
CO2.

Leigh

Old 14-09-2003, 09:02 PM
gizmo

I have 100gallon tank with 34x4 and plants are doing just fine.
I think this is ok..... there is a ratio of gallon per watt.
You can use as well reflectors to increase the light power. did the trick
for me.

gizmo