Old 30-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Alan Silver

Default What lighting for anubias, java fern and vallis ? (low tech tank)

Hello,

I'm just setting up a new cichlid tank and want to add plants. According
to Tropica's web site, the three types of plants mentioned above are all
fish-proof and should do OK in low light conditions.

The tank is 24" high, so I can't have plants that need high lighting due
to the depth. I was wondering what lighting level I would need to keep
plants. I'm not bothered for huge growth, just healthy plants that don't
get covered in algae.

Tank specs :

24" cube
water will be hard (using crushed coral as substrate)
pH aiming for about 8.0
Twice weekly 10% water changes will be done

Don't know what else to add. Any advice on how to set up the lighting
would be appreciated. The LFS recommended a blue light in addition to
the usual white as this brings out the cichlid's colour well. Don't know
if these add to the light for the plants, or if they are just for fish
decoration.

Any advice very welcome. TIA

--
Alan Silver

Old 03-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Dave Millman

Alan Silver wrote:

Hello,

I'm just setting up a new cichlid tank and want to add plants. According
to Tropica's web site, the three types of plants mentioned above are all
fish-proof and should do OK in low light conditions.

The tank is 24" high, so I can't have plants that need high lighting due
to the depth. I was wondering what lighting level I would need to keep
plants. I'm not bothered for huge growth, just healthy plants that don't
get covered in algae.

Anubias and Java fern are better off NOT planted in the substrate. Most
people tie them to driftwood, stones, etc. This means they can be raised off
the bottom.

Tank specs :

24" cube
water will be hard (using crushed coral as substrate)
pH aiming for about 8.0
Twice weekly 10% water changes will be done

Save some work and change 25% or more per week.

Don't know what else to add. Any advice on how to set up the lighting
would be appreciated. The LFS recommended a blue light in addition to
the usual white as this brings out the cichlid's colour well. Don't know
if these add to the light for the plants, or if they are just for fish
decoration.

Blue lights are typically designed for corals or other inverts. Plant bulbs
are typically 5000-7000K. Great plants can be had at http://www.ahsupply.com

Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

Anubius Does quite well if the ROOTS are plantes in the substrate but
not the rhizome.

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75
FORUM

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php